Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos is seeking a Gas Separation Membrane Engineer that will provide support to the Carbon Capture team. For this position, the candidate will design and fabricate gas separation membranes and test their performance by designing, fabricating, modifying and utilizing humidified mixed gas membrane permeation testing equipment.
The candidate will conduct; analytical, experimental, investigative and other fact-finding work using standard scientific approaches and techniques to support principal scientific researchers, observes, calculates, records and interprets the results of tests and analyses, and designs, constructs, modifies, calibrates, operates and maintains equipment used for these purposes or devised as a result of the work.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Design and fabricate gas separation membranes.
- Design, fabricate and operate humidified mixed gas membrane permeation testing equipment.
- Develop facilitated transport, polymer and mixed matrix membranes.
- Perform analysis of resultant materials using various characterization techniques.
- Prepare technical reports on project scope, milestones and conference/workshop presentations to disseminate research findings, activities, operations, and future initiatives to industry, academic and government stakeholders.
- Periodically report status (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) to update project managers and customers.
- Participate in group meetings which are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow researchers.
This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The complexity of information to be managed will require excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a science or science-related field (e.g., biology, chemistry, economics, geology, mathematics, physics) and 11 years of job-related experience or a Master’s Degree with 6 years of job-related experience or a PhD and 3 years of job-related experience.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness and interest to collaborate in an interdisciplinary team environment to drive towards overall project and team objectives is also required.
- Familiarity with working in a Research & Development setting.
A PhD degree in chemical engineering or a related field with –
- 3 years post-doc experience or equivalent.
- Experience in the design and fabrication of gas separation membranes.
- Experience in the design, fabrication and operation of humidified mixed gas membrane permeation testing equipment.
- Experience in facilitated transport, polymer and mixed matrix membrane development.
- Experience in analytical techniques such as optical microscopy, thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) , ultraviolet–visible spectroscopy (UV-vis), Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR), rheometry, and gas chromatography.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
- Antarctic Support Contract (ASC)
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Energy and Environment
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.