Leidos offers its knowledge and expertise over a wide area of cutting-edge energy technologies and independent oversight, combined with proven business acumen. Building our work for publicly and privately-owned utilities, financial institutions and local governments, we are able to provide our clients with engineering and business insight into all parts of the electric power infrastructure industry.
We are seeking a Senior Transmission Line Engineer in Birmingham, AL who will work as a member of a dynamic team working in a fast paced environment, solving challenging problems involved with high voltage electric transmission line design.
The successful candidate will serve as a Lead Engineer on electric transmission design projects for high-voltage (HV) and extra high-voltage (EHV) overhead and underground systems for some of the largest utilities in the country. He/she will apply NESC, ASCE, ACI and other applicable standards in the engineering and design of overhead and underground transmission systems, voltage conversion projects, new capacity projects and infrastructure replacement projects. Additionally, he/she will assist the team as well as independently perform: engineering analyses, prepare bidding documents, prepare plans and specifications; as well as prepare material procurement and construction documents. This will involve working with a multi-person Leidos team and interfacing with clients, project panning, environmental, permitting, and construction management personnel.
The position offers the successful candidate an opportunity to develop an engineering team with direct report responsibilities. The candidate will also be responsible for managing client relations, business capture (proposal development, scope creation and estimates), and project management.
Required Education & Experience:
- B.S. degree in Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering (M.S. is advantageous)
- 7+ years of relevant experience in the design of electric transmission systems
- Leadership capabilities with experience leading and developing design personnel
- Knowledge of code requirements, construction cost estimating, specification, material procurement processes, project schedule creation, and construction work packages.
- Experience using PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE, and/or TOWER for transmission line design and analysis
- Experience with LPile or FAD for foundation design
- Work effectively in team environment; can also work independently
- Proven ability to communicate with clients and project teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Work in client office is a possibility and/or periodic travel may be required
- PE certification or ability to obtain is expected
- Experience with MathCAD, AutoCAD or Microstation, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS), MS Project and Bently ProjectWise is a plus
*This position is contingent upon a prospective release of work*
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Civil Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.