Leidos, with Operations in Columbia, MD, is looking for a Technical Writer to support multiple project teams across an exciting new contract in support of the Department of Defense. The successful candidate will join a cross-functional agile development team of approximately 8 personnel. The Technical Writer will also provide support to three teams of analysts as they support operational activities. The Technical Writer will be supported by the Program Manager to perform the following standard duties:
- Responsible for writing technical copy for various types of documents by applying basic concepts of grammar and writing as it applies to engineering documents
- Assists in preparing and maintaining operations documentation, user guides, standard operating procedures (SOPs), system specifications, software documentation, manuals, and technical publications (including briefing materials)
- Gathers technical information, prepares written text
- Maintains a current internal documentation library
- Uses multiple word processing and presentation tools such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Visio, SharePoint, wiki, etc.
- Assists with program-wide communications and information sharing
- A minimum of 8 years of experience as a Technical Writer, Technical Editor, or Systems Engineer
- Bachelor’s Degree can be substituted for four (2) years of experience
- Ability to obtain a TS/SCI clearance with polygraph. An active clearance is preferred
- Possesses strong writing and editing background, is self-organized.
- Excellent ability to capture technical solutions and designs and translate in technical documentation.
- Experience with document structure and logic flow, as well as writing for non-technical audiences.
- Experience working with engineering, scientific, and maintenance drawings and/or operational procedures.
- Experience developing new and/or refining existing technical products to enhance.
- Familiarity with software/hardware development principles.
- Ability to research and organize process work steps in a concise and discernible manner.
- Knowledge and experience with various documentation tools including MS Office Suite (MS Word, MS Outlook, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, MS Visio), MS Project, MS SharePoint, Adobe Acrobat, Snagit.
- Strong collaboration skills.
- An understanding of programming concepts, operating systems, and/or networking.
- An understanding of big data analytics
- Experience with Microsoft Word template and macro development
- Proficiency with Jira and Confluence applied to agile development teams
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph
Scheduled Weekly Hours:24
Job Family:Writing and Editing
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.