Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry in a group of intelligent and motivated individuals? This Leidos team operates Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of emerging technologies, including vehicle automation and communication. To support these goals, Leidos is hiring a Software Engineer in McLean, Virginia, as part of a team of researchers supporting the FHWA’s cutting-edge research at Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). This work involves development and maintenance of various enterprise systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, and data analysis. This person will play a significant role in implementing, adopting and evaluating technologies developed both in-house and by others.
The software engineer will be part of a larger research team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that pushes the boundaries of connected and autonomous vehicle technology for the FHWA for purposes of demonstrating capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication that will support the larger Intelligent Transportation System initiatives. We also study human factors, such as a driver’s ability to recognize and react to various situations, including interaction with automated vehicles. It is important that all team members are flexible and able to contribute outside of their primary expertise, so we are looking for someone who will be open to multiple responsibilities.
As part of the STOL team, the engineer will need to:
- Be a good team player and be able to give and take critical feedback on work products
- Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
- Be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand
- Be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement
- Be quality-conscious and carry a sense of pride in their work
- Work hard for the team’s success
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or other science discipline
- 3+ years full-time professional experience in Java/J2EE software development
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance
- Experience developing and consuming SOAP and REST web services using specifications such as OpenAPI.
- Understand and leverage common Java/J2EE architectural styles and patterns (SOA, Microservices etc.)
- Understand and apply quality techniques and practices (automated unit testing, Test Driven Design/Development, continuous integration)
- Familiarity with communication protocols, such as TCP, UDP, SNMP
- Working knowledge of typical development tools and practices in both Windows and Linux environments
- Valid driver’s license in the US
- Experience developing in C++
- Experience with Spring framework
- Experience with message queues/message brokers/data streaming such as Apache Kafka.
- Experience working on Agile projects and working with Agile toolsets, such as JIRA and Confluence
- Experience with Git, Maven, Gradle, Docker (including Docker-compose) and continuous integration and continuous deployment
- Familiarity with SAE and ITS standards like NTCIP and TMDD
- Wireless communications, including 4G and 5G cellular, WiFi and DSRC
- Experience developing user interfaces and web pages
- Hands-on experience developing code with Unity/HTC Vive
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.