Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of sleep and circadian physiology, electroencephalographic scoring of sleep and wake, and sleep protocol design.
- Advanced knowledge of conventional statistical techniques such as multiple regression, analysis of variance/covariance, exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis, and latent variable modeling (e.g., structural equation modeling).
- Ability to be a self-starter, act on objectives in an independent manner, demonstrate leadership, work independently in a team, and the ability to plan and prioritize work.
- Flexibility in data collection procedures, in either a controlled laboratory-based or a field-based setting
- Assisting the Principal Investigator in hypothesis generation and strategic development of cost effective experimental models to support or refute these hypotheses.
- Establish robust, validated protocols in an independent fashion based on current leading-edge physiologic techniques related to sleep research.
- Identify and perform appropriate statistical analyses such as multiple regression, analysis of variance/covariance, exploratory and confirmatory factor analysis, and latent variable modeling (e.g., structural equation modeling).
- Assist the Principal Investigator in managing local and outlying US Department of Defense collaborative relationships necessary for completion of project-specific milestones.
- Prepare Institutional Review Board (IRB) protocols and periodic internal reports and status updates.
- Assist with the management of Research Assistants of varied levels. Assist with the management of project budgets and equipment procurement.
- Independently alter field data collection tactics as operational military needs dictate.
- Effectively communicate results of projects to military and academic communities through presentations, peer-reviewed journal publications, technical reports, and letters to military officials. Seek funding sources and write funding proposals.
- Ph.D. in physiology, sleep physiology, or a related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in processing sleep research data.
- At least 2 years of experience as a project lead on a sleep-related project.
- Must have or be able to obtain Secret clearance prior to starting
- Must be a U.S Citizen
- Experience designing and implementing experiments with high technical sophistication in a military operational research setting.
- Demonstrated evidence of scientific achievement in the human performance domain is preferred, as shown by the publication of articles and reports, membership in scientific societies, knowledge of and experience in writing and editing technical and scientific research information, as well as the ability to speak well and concisely, and confer with professional colleagues on a peer basis.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Life Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.