The Maritime Systems Division of the C4ISR Group is seeking an experienced and highly capable Mechanical Engineer to join the Leidos team so support a variety of maritime projects, including undersea vehicles and optical system design. The Mechanical Engineer will perform as a member of a multidisciplinary engineering team, with responsibility for timely completion of tasks. The project teams include systems engineers, mechanical and electrical designers, software developers, prototype fabricators, and integration and test engineers.
- Works independently to develop solutions to mechanical components and subsystems based on performance specifications, constraints, and interfaces
- Performs analysis and design of mechanical systems in an interdisciplinary team environment
- Create and drawings and drawing packages in accordance w/ ASME Y14.100 for the fabrication and assembly of mechanical systems. Apply geometric dimensioning and tolerancing on drawings per ASME Y14.5.
- Prepare and present design review materials for customers and internal stakeholders
- Prepare purchase and test specifications for electro-mechanical components and subsystems
- Supports planning and tracking of progress in development projects using tools such as Microsoft Excel and Project
- Assemble and test prototype hardware in the lab and on the water
- The following skills are desired:
- Use of SolidWorks CAD and PDM Pro CAD management software.
- Use of ANSYS Finite Element Analysis and Computational Fluid Dynamics software.
- Familiarity with design for the marine & subsea environment including factors such as hydrostatic pressure, sealing, galvanic corrosion, and biofouling.
- Bachelors and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience.
- Ability to obtain a Secret Clearance
- Prior experience with either Mechanical Engineering or Ocean Engineering
- Requires working knowledge of and ability to apply standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques of technical domain.
- Maritime systems experience greatly preferred.
- Experience fabricating parts with basic machine shop equipment (manual lathe & mill) preferred.
- Underwater vehicle experience preferred.
Optical systems experience preferred.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Mechanical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.