Leidos has a career opening for a Deputy and Vice President (VP) of Congressional Affairs located in Washington, DC.
The Deputy and Vice President for Congressional Affairs is a senior position that reports to the Senior Vice President for Government Affairs. The position leads and manages an experienced and expanding group of lobbyists responsible for advocating for and advancing the goals and objectives of a diverse and growing company in the U.S. Congress and Executive Branch. The position requires agility, ability to multi-task, organization, and commitment to lead with integrity, candor, and respect.
- Leads a staff of lobbyists to effectively advocate for, promote, and protect Leidos legislative and policy interests on Capitol Hill and in the Executive Branch
- Partners with and supports the company’s lines of business by aligning congressional strategy and priorities with Leidos’ long-range plan, annual budget, identified emerging markets, and strategic imperatives
- Ensures congressional strategies exploit trade associations, public policy organizations, think tanks, and industry coalitions to promote Leidos objectives.
- Coordinates efforts with internal Leidos stakeholders
- Effectively manages the establishment, development, and maintenance of Leidos relationships with Members of Congress, their staff, and key government leaders
- Collaborates with internal Leidos functions to ensure a coordinated and unified message for congressional and executive branch decision makers
- Reports to and acts as Deputy to the Senior Vice President of Government Affairs (GA)
- Is a thought partner to, and participates as a core member of, the GA leadership team
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree. 15+ years of experience as staff on Capitol Hill, the Executive Branch, as a lobbyist in the federal government services/aerospace industry, or a combination thereof
- Collaborative skills with a record of accomplishment in building and maintaining strong relationships on Capitol Hill and the Executive Branch
- Proven team player approach with experience managing, mentoring, and leading teams
- Self-motivated, assertive, and self-confident disposition with the ability to act with urgency and an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to emerging issues
- High degree of emotional intelligence, displaying candor and integrity at all times
- Outstanding level of acumen and understanding of the legislative and federal budget processes on Capitol Hill.
- High level of strategic thinking ability and judgment
- Exceptionally strong oral and written communication skills to effectively interface with and influence Leidos senior leaders, and decision-makers on Capitol Hill and in the Executive Branch
- Strong organizational skills in order to maintain a high level of productivity, innovation, and priority-setting
- Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently and concurrently and think through complexity and ambiguity; make thoughtful, integrated, timely and meaningful decisions; and take corresponding actions
- Entrepreneurial spirit, resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, results-oriented mindset, and enjoyment working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Proficient in MS Windows, Word, and PowerPoint
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree
- Deep knowledge of the Appropriations process
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Regulatory Affairs
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.