You have been involved in multiple software development projects through their full life cycle, including operational deployment and post-deployment maintenance. You have experienced the hardships and long weekends of a poorly managed development project. You have, therefore, developed a philosophy on how to avoid pitfalls and keep the team on track to maximum productivity over the long haul.
If this describes you, Leidos wants to talk to you about joining our energetic, diverse team of engineers who are defining, and building, tomorrow’s technology for connected, automated vehicles. As our team continues to grow, we are looking to expand the base of experienced leadership.
This Leidos team operates the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. We do cutting-edge research at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). We build and maintain the open source Carma research platform, which is further described here.
We are part of a larger research team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that pushes the boundaries of connected and autonomous vehicle technology for the FHWA for purposes of demonstrating capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication that will support the larger Intelligent Transportation System initiatives.
The Senior Software Engineer will have the skill sets to do full life cycle development on a complex system of systems, primarily using C++ on Linux. However, responsibilities will primarily involve:
- Defining system architecture and high-level designs
- Performing system level testing
- Helping to define the team’s strategic directions
- Managing staff assignments to ensure high quality work in support of that strategy
- Communicating with upper management and customer staff
- Supervising direct reports, which includes recruiting, coaching, managing their training, performance, rewards, discipline, career growth, etc.
Location: McLean, VA (onsite 5 days a week)
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or a science discipline with 10+ years full-time professional experience on software development teams
- Proven experience leading a team of software engineers for at least 3 years
- Experience as a hands-on software developer so that you have a first-hand appreciation of the needs and thought patterns of the team
- Ability to think and communicate abstractly
- Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance.
- Experience in government contracting environment, including proposal writing preferred
- Experience leading an agile development team preferred
- Experience developing software in C++ and Linux environments preferred
- Experience with Git, Docker and continuous integration
- Knowledge of Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience developing real-time, embedded software
- Understanding of physics, especially dynamics and kinematics
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.