- Apply fluid dynamic concepts and principles to analyze propagation of plasma waves in the ionosphere to track sub-centimeter charged orbital debris.
- Run a Matlab algorithm to simulate ion density waves created from charged debris.
- Use a global 3D model to calculate plasma wave frequency, speed, and amplitude, using the plasma parameters at each grid point.
- Quantify propagation distances of plasma waves and determine how they are influenced by seasonal and diurnal effects.
- Determine how these propagation distances will inform the detectability of plasma waves with ground-based or space-based detectors, the number of sensors required, and the time required to map debris.
- Minimum 9 years experience with Master’s Degree Or Minimum 19 years experience with B.S. degree. Degree in physics or astronomy preferred.
- Active TS/SCI or higher.
- Background in fluid dynamics, plasma physics, atmospheric modeling, or atmospheric physics.
- Experience with Matlab.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.