- Process ground and space based radar data to identify the orbital locations of ion density lines in the dataset, or areas with increased ion density in the Earth's ionosphere and plasmasphere.
- Create a database from existing radar data sources and known tracked debris objects for comparison to the predicted ion density lines from the provided algorithm.
- Analyze this database and develop process to track sub-centimeter charged orbital debris.
- Apply scientific principles and methods to analyze data and solve problems including: detecting changes in ion density and quantify and characterize these changes.
- Additionally, assess quantitative changes over time and identify anomalies that do not correlate with predicted ion density patterns.
- Minimum 9 years experience with Master’s Degree Or Minimum 19 years experience with B.S. degree. Degree in image science, remote sensing, astronomy, astrophysics, or physics preferred.
- Active TS/SCI or higher.
- Experience in RADAR required; experience in both ground and space based RADAR preferred.
- Experience programming in Matlab or ENVI/IDL.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.