Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos has an opening for a Systems Safety Engineer to work in a dynamic team environment supporting the International Space Station Cargo Mission Contract customer. Working under the guidance of seasoned professionals, this candidate will learn how to perform hazard analysis and failure modes analysis associated with mechanisms, structures, materials, operations, mechanical/electrical systems, etc. The systems safety engineer will document the analysis results and learn how to identify means of controlling the risks to render them non-credible for ground and flight operations. Additionally, the systems safety engineer will perform integrated bag level hazard analysis to identify and mitigate hazards created by multiple items being packed together.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Exploration and Mission Support Operation builds trust through the delivery of enduring solutions for our customers’ information technology and mission support needs. We enable the delivery of citizen services and the exploration of space and scientific advancement to benefit humankind.
- Space Mission Operations
- NASA Human Health and Research
- Enterprise IT
- Civil Spacecraft Engineering and Operations
- Specialized Engineering Services
- Supply Chain Management and Complex Logistics
- Develop data products including 906/907 Safety Certifications, Integrated Bag level Hazard Assessments (IBLHA), Safety Data packs (SDP), and Hazard Reports (HR), and presents the data to customers for review and approval
- Coordinate with other hardware providers including International Partners and Civil Servants and Contractors at various NASA centers including MSFC, GSFC, JSC, KSC to ensure requirements compliance and work integrated safety hazards to completion
- Interface with CMC Engineering to analyze and recommend safety criteria in system design, equipment, and procedures to control or eliminate hazards to spaceflight crew.
- Identifies safety controls and tracks to closure
- Evaluate the interrelationship of system safety requirements with designers, analysts, and others to develop requirements that ensure adherence to NASA safety requirements.
- Coordinate the resolution of safety and/or hardware issues as well as being a point of contact for all aspects of a particular product or vehicle flight.
- Perform Reliability assessments and develops Initial Assessments of Criticality (IAC) to determine criticality of flight hardware
- Coordinate IAC with R&MWG and obtains approvals at program level
- Manage multiple projects while meeting schedule and technical milestones.
- Bachelor’s degree in an industrial engineering with an emphasis in System Safety, or related field.
- Must be able to effectively work in a team environment and interface with both internal and external customers.
- Experience with Flight Electrical and Mechanical hardware, knowledge of SSP 30599 Safety Review Process, SSP 51721 ISS Safety Requirements, and SSP 30234 ISS R&M Requirements.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to interface with customers and effectively manage technical issues to resolution.
Must be able to obtain a Public Trust clearance. If you are not a United States Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident, this check could take 12-18 months to complete.
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.