Leidos is seeking a Tier 3 Cyber Network Defense Analyst to join our team on a highly visible cyber security single-award IDIQ vehicle that provides security operations center (SOC) support, cyber analysis, application development, and a 24x7x365 support staff.
Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Security Operations Center (SOC) Support Services is a US Government program responsible to monitor, detect, analyze, mitigate, and respond to cyber threats and adversarial activity on the DHS Enterprise. The DHS SOC has primary responsibility for monitoring and responding to security events and incidents detected at the Trusted Internet Connection (TIC) and Policy Enforcement Point (PEP) and is responsible for directing and coordinating detection and response activities performed by each Component SOC. Direction and coordination are achieved through a shared DHS incident tracking system and other means of coordination and communication.
The Tier 3 analyst will provide support during core business hours and will also participate in an on-call rotational schedule.
Duties include proactively searching for threats. Inspect traffic for anomalies and new malware patterns. Investigate and analyze logs. Provide analysis and response to alerts when escalated from junior analysts, and document activity in SOC investigations and Security Event Notifications (SENs). Develop custom content within the SIEM or other network security tools to detect threats and attacks against the department. Tier 3 analysts participate in briefings to provide expert guidance on new threats and will act as an escalation point for M&A analysts. The analyst may also be required to author reports and/or interface with customers for ad-hoc requests. In addition, the tier 3 analyst may be asked to participate in discussions to make recommendations on improving SOC visibility or process.
- Provide expert content development in the SIEM and signature creation for network security devices
- Perform critical thinking and analysis to investigate cyber security alerts
- Analyze network traffic using enterprise tools (e.g. Full PCAP, Firewall, Proxy logs, IDS logs, etc)
- Collaborate with team members to analyze an alert or a threat
- Stay up to date with latest threats and familiar with APT and common TTPs
- Utilize OSINT to extrapolate data to pivot and identify malicious activity
- Have experience with dynamic malware analysis
- Have experience performing analysis of network traffic and correlating diverse security logs to perform recommendations for response
- Utilize the Cyber Kill Chain and synthesize the entire attack life cycle
- Review and provide feedback to junior analysts’ investigation
- participate in discussions to make recommendations on improving SOC visibility or process
- Contribute to SOP development and updating
- Provide expert guidance and mentorship to junior analysts
Requires have a minimum of seven (7) years professional experience in incident detection and response, malware analysis, or cyber forensics, OR a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, or related field with three (5) years of experience in incident detection and response, malware analysis, or cyber forensics.
Of the seven (7) years of professional experience requirements above, Tier 3 Analyst candidates shall have at least one (1) of the following specialized experience for their position:
- Monitoring and Detection Analyst: Candidates shall have a minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in security, information risk management, or information systems risk assessment, and must be knowledgeable in many areas such as: Vulnerability Assessments, Intrusion Prevention and Detection, Access Control and Authorization, Policy Enforcement, Application Security, Protocol Analysis, Firewall Management, Incident Response, Data Loss Prevention (DLP), Encryption, Two-Factor Authentication, Web-filtering, and Advanced Threat Protection.
- Incident Response Analyst: Candidates shall have a minimum of five (5) years of professional experience responding to information system security incidents. Ability to use the DHS furnished toolset to identify and determine root causes of incidents and provide any required documentation and possible evidence to security investigators.
Minimum of current TS with ability to obtain TS/SCI Clearance. In addition to specific security clearance requirements all Department of Homeland Security SOC employees are required to obtain an Entry on Duty (EOD) clearance to support this program.
Must have at least one of the following certifications:
SANS GIAC: GCIA, GCIH, GCFA, GPEN, GWAPT, GCFE, GREM, GXPN, GMON, or GCIH
EC Council: CEH, CHFI, LPT, ECSA
ISC2: CCFP, CCSP, CISSP CERT CSIH
Offensive Security: OSCP, OSCE, OSWP and OSEE
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated individual in pursuit of a career in cyber security.
- Implemented security methodologies and SOC processes
- Extensive knowledge about network ports and protocols (e.g. TCP/UDP, HTTP, ICMP, DNS, SMTP, etc.)
- Experienced with network topologies and network security devices (e.g. Firewall, IDS/IPS, Proxy, DNS, WAF, etc.).
- Hands-on experience utilizing network security tools (e.g. Sourcefire, Suricata, Netwitness, o365, FireEye, etc.) and SIEM
- Experience in a scripting language (e.g. Python, Powershell, etc.) and automating SOC processes/workflow
- Experience training and mentoring junior analysts
- Expertise in developing custom SPL using macros, lookups, etc. and network security signatures such as SNORT and YARA
- Experience creating regex for pattern matching
- Extensive knowledge of common end user and web application attacks and countermeasures against attacks
- Experience developing custom workflows within Splunk to streamlines SOC processes
- Experience creating SOPs and providing guidance to junior analyst
- Ability to analyze new attacks and provide guidance to watch floor analyst on detection and response
- Knowledgeable of the various Intel Frameworks (e.g. Cyber Kill Chain, Diamond Model, MITRE ATT&CK, etc.) and able to utilize it in their analysis workflow
- Experience with monitoring cloud (e.g. o365, Azure, AWS, etc.) security monitoring
- Knowledgeable of APT their capabilities and implement appropriate countermeasures
- Experience with performing cloud (e.g. o365, Azure, AWS, etc.) security monitoring and familiar with cloud threat landscape
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Shift:24/7 12 Hour Shift Pattern
Job Family:Cyber Operations
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.