Leidos is seeking a Tier 3 Email Security Analyst to join our team on a highly visible cyber security single-award IDIQ vehicle that provides security operations center (SOC) support, cyber analysis, application development, and a 24x7x365 support staff.
Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Security Operations Center (SOC) Support Services is a US Government program responsible to monitor, detect, analyze, mitigate, and respond to cyber threats and adversarial activity on the DHS Enterprise. The DHS SOC has primary responsibility for monitoring and responding to security events and incidents detected at the Trusted Internet Connection (TIC) and Policy Enforcement Point (PEP) and is responsible for directing and coordinating detection and response activities performed by each Component SOC. Direction and coordination are achieved through a shared DHS incident tracking system and other means of coordination and communication.
The Email Security team provides core business hour support to the program but will also support an on-call rotation to provide support after hours.
Duties include email security monitoring and threat detection. Proactively search for new email attacks. Inspect mail traffic and alerts for anomalies and new attack patterns to identify true positives and recommend network firewall and email filtering adjustments. Investigate and analyze logs and email headers to differentiate spoofed vs compromised email. Provide expert analysis and response to alerts, and document activity in ESOC investigations and Security Event Notifications (SENs). Tier 3 analysts participate in briefings to provide expert guidance on new threats and will act as an escalation point for M&A analysts. The analyst may also be required to author reports and/or interface with customers for ad-hoc requests. In addition, the tier 3 analyst may be asked to participate in discussions to make recommendations on improving SOC visibility or process.
- Create Security Event Notifications to document investigation findings
- Perform critical thinking and analysis to investigate cyber security alerts
- Analyze suspicious emails using enterprise tools (e.g. email security gateways, dynamic malware analysis sandbox, cloud provider tools, etc.)
- Collaborate with team members to analyze email campaigns and threats
- Stay up to date with latest threats and making recommendations to protect the department against new attacks/threats
- Experienced performing dynamic malware analysis
- Monitor various specialized mailboxes for new email attacks
- Utilize OSINT to extrapolate intel to proactively implement email countermeasures
- Identify new email rules and actively tune/update existing rules
- Provide expertise in email security and provide recommendations for securing the environment
- Develop and maintain SOPs for malicious email detection and response
Requires have a minimum of seven (7) years professional experience in incident detection and response, malware analysis, or cyber forensics, OR a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, or related field with three (5) years of experience in incident detection and response, malware analysis, or cyber forensics.
Of the seven (7) years of professional experience requirements above, Tier 3 Analyst candidates shall have at least one (1) of the following specialized experience for their position:
- Monitoring and Detection Analyst: Candidates shall have a minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in security, information risk management, or information systems risk assessment, and must be knowledgeable in many areas such as: Vulnerability Assessments, Intrusion Prevention and Detection, Access Control and Authorization, Policy Enforcement, Application Security, Protocol Analysis, Firewall Management, Incident Response, Data Loss Prevention (DLP), Encryption, Two-Factor Authentication, Web-filtering, and Advanced Threat Protection.
- Incident Response Analyst: Candidates shall have a minimum of five (5) years of professional experience responding to information system security incidents. Ability to use the DHS furnished toolset to identify and determine root causes of incidents and provide any required documentation and possible evidence to security investigators.
Minimum of current TS with ability to obtain TS/SCI Clearance. In addition to specific security clearance requirements all Department of Homeland Security SOC employees are required to obtain an Entry on Duty (EOD) clearance to support this program.
Must have at least one of the following certifications:
SANS GIAC: GCIA, GCIH, GCFA, GPEN, GWAPT, GCFE, GREM, GXPN, GMON, or GCIH
EC Council: CEH, CHFI, LPT, ECSA
ISC2: CCFP, CCSP, CISSP CERT CSIH
Offensive Security: OSCP, OSCE, OSWP and OSEE
- The ideal candidate is a self-motivated individual in pursuit of a career in cyber security.
- Expertise with DMARC, DKIM, and SPF implementation
- Extensive knowledge about network ports and protocols (e.g. TCP/UDP, HTTP, ICMP, DNS, SMTP, etc.)
- Experienced with email security devices (e.g. Microsoft EOP/ATP, ProofPoint, FireEye etc.).
- Hands-on experience utilizing network security tools (e.g. Sourcefire, Suricata, Netwitness, o365, FireEye, etc.) and SIEM
- Experience in a scripting language (e.g. Python, Powershell, etc.) and automating SOC processes/workflow
- Experience training and mentoring junior analysts
- Experienced in developing custom SPL
- Experienced creating and tuning email transport rules
- Experience creating regex for pattern matching
- Extensive knowledge of email attacks with the ability to identify potential campaigns against the department
- Experience creating SOPs and providing guidance to junior analyst
- Ability to analyze new email attacks and provide guidance to watch floor analyst on detection and response
- Knowledgeable of the various Intel Frameworks (e.g. Cyber Kill Chain, Diamond Model, MITRE ATT&CK, etc.) and able to utilize it in their analysis workflow
- Experience with monitoring cloud (e.g. o365, Azure, AWS, etc.) security monitoring
- Knowledgeable of APT their capabilities and implement appropriate countermeasures
- Expert understanding of email flow
- Expert understanding of email headers and ability to perform email analysis
- Office365 admin or exchange admin experience
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Shift:24/7 12 Hour Shift Pattern
Job Family:Cyber Operations
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.