Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos is seeking a McMurdo Area Manager in Centennial, CO who will be a member of the Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) leadership team.
About the Antarctic Support Contract:
Leidos Antarctic Support Contract (ASC) is the prime contractor to the National Science Foundation (NSF) in support of the United States Antarctic Program (USAP). Leidos supports the NSF’s Office of Polar Program’s Antarctic Infrastructure and Logistics by aligning with their Mission and Vision Statements:
- Vision: Expanding our scientific reach in Antarctica through increased operational and logistical effectiveness.
- Mission: To provide the operational and logistical platform necessary for the U.S. to conduct world-class science in Antarctica and maintain its active and influential presence on the continent.
Leidos ASC operates and maintains three geographically remote research stations: McMurdo Station, Palmer Station, and McMurdo Station and several large deep field sites across Antarctica. The Field sites are supported by fixed and rotary wing aircraft as well as ice traverses across east and west Antarctica. Each station or field site supports world-class research and the facilities are a critical part of this mission and supports over 1300 people living, working and performing research across Antarctica.
The McMurdo Area Manager will join an exciting team at ASC as the leader of the McMurdo Area and Chairperson of the McMurdo Performance Management Team (PMT). They are responsible for all operations at McMurdo and coordinating efforts to efficiently run McMurdo Station. They will report to the Science and Area Management Director and will be part of the ASC leadership team.
- Planning, integrating, and overseeing all site operations from planning through execution for the following major activities: Science activities, Operations, Facilities, Projects, Transportation and Logistics, and Information Technology.
- Provides senior site representation to the National Science Foundation, DOD/ANG, NIWIC, other USAP agencies, and foreign national Antarctic programs.
- Responsible for developing and implementing ASC strategies across area that ensure all necessary resources and support is available to grantees conducting research projects at McMurdo Station.
- Chairperson of the McMurdo Area Performance Management Team that integrates performance and drives continuous improvement activities.
- Manages McMurdo Risk Management and integrates to Program Risk Management.
- Ensures administrative support responsibilities are met, including support to NSF representatives and ASC management; deployment and redeployment of science, NSF, and ASC personnel; and supports program sponsored special events.
- Works directly with EHS and Safety Manager to continuously improve safety culture on station and decrease injuries and property damage on station, ensuring a safe working environment for everyone.
- Ensures and supports a harassment free work place for all personnel at McMurdo and upholding Leidos values.
- Provides integration support to all Scientific Events and Projects at McMurdo to ensure requirements and schedules are met and provides mitigation and conflict resolution when needed.
- Sets long term vision and technical guidance to USAP for McMurdo.
- Financial Control Account Manager (CAM) for McMurdo Management, and ensures activities of all McMurdo budgets in support of the Annual Program Plan to ensure they are in line with scope.
- Directly supervises Area Management Leidos personnel.
- Ensures McMurdo is properly staffed, through matrixed organization.
- Implements and enforces ASC’s safety, environmental and health programs, performance assurance and other program initiatives.
- Ensures that all activities follow the Antarctic Treaty, Health and Safety procedures, and all other applicable company and NSF procedures and policies.
- Monitors and reports on progress on all McMurdo activities.
- Handles confidential matters in accordance with management policy.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum 10 years supporting or managing remote field operations
- Must be a US Citizen or green card holder to meet contractual requirements
- Broad management and leadership experience, specifically leading remote teams and operations, and matrixed multi-skilled organizations
- Understanding of remote field operations including fixed and rotary wing aircraft
- Ability to execute independently in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Risk Management
- Ability to work strategically and tactically
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills
- Detailed oriented
- Strong Microsoft Office suite skills
- Utilization of Integrated Master Schedule
- Experience managing international or global programs, remote sites, and harsh work environments
- Antarctic, Arctic or remote cold region field safety experience is preferred
- Incident Command System (ICS) certified
- Incident Management (NIMS) certified
PHYSICAL AND / OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: Deployment is required in this position at discretion of management (approximately 3-5 months per year during the Austral Summer). The individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations, as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. Complies with applicable safety, environment, health, and waste management policies and procedure.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
- Antarctic Support Contract (ASC)
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Energy and Environment
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Proj and Prog Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.