Leidos is seeking a Tier 3 Cyber Forensics and Malware Analyst to join our team on a highly visible cyber security single-award IDIQ vehicle that provides security operations center (SOC) support, cyber analysis, application development, and a 24x7x365 support staff.
Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Security Operations Center (SOC) Support Services is a US Government program responsible to monitor, detect, analyze, mitigate, and respond to cyber threats and adversarial activity on the DHS Enterprise. The DHS SOC has primary responsibility for monitoring and responding to security events and incidents detected at the Trusted Internet Connection (TIC) and Policy Enforcement Point (PEP) and is responsible for directing and coordinating detection and response activities performed by each Component SOC. Direction and coordination are achieved through a shared DHS incident tracking system and other means of coordination and communication.
Duties include maintaining a fly-away kit, performing dead box forensics, and static malware analysis. Will support investigating computer and information security incidents to determine extent of compromise to information and automated information systems. Will provide network forensic and intrusion detection support to high technology investigations in the form of researching. And will maintain proficiency in tools, techniques, countermeasures, and trends in computer network vulnerabilities, data hiding, network security and encryption. In addition, the Tier 3 Analyst will help cross train and mentor other SOC Support Staff. The analysts participate in briefings to provide expert guidance on new threats and will act as an escalation point for M&A analysts. The analyst may also be required to author reports and/or interface with customers for ad-hoc requests. In addition, the tier 3 analyst may be asked to participate in discussions to make recommendations on improving SOC visibility or process.
The CFMA team provide support during core business hours (7am – 7pm), Monday thru Friday. Flexible start times are considered. Participates in rotating on call schedule.
- Help define requirements and identify gaps for performing remote compromise assessments
- Perform as a senior analyst and liaison between the customer and ESOC while performing remote assessments
- Conduct malware analysis using static and dynamic methodologies (e.g. debuggers [Ollydbg], disassembler [IDA Pro], sandbox execution, etc.)
- Produce malware reports to disseminate to the watch floor and enterprise
- Capture forensic artifacts such as memory and disk images
- Work with the Splunk team to implement, enhance, or change existing use cases
- Pivot on the forensic data working with the Cyber Threat Intelligence team to determine if the malware is part of a larger campaign, how DHS is being targeted and take any further remediation required
- Lead remote compromise assessments and produce final assessment report
- Perform live box and dead box forensics to identify compromise and attack vector
- Provide input for SOC improvement and identify visibility gaps for enterprise monitoring
- Deploy and configure network sensors (Suricata), manage Linux VMs (Security Onion, Ubuntu, CentOS), and maintain a small network
- Potentially travel to other DHS locations (1-3 times/year) to support Incident Response investigations
- Develop and maintain SOPs and ROE templates.
Requires have a minimum of seven (7) years professional experience in incident detection and response, malware analysis, or cyber forensics, OR a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, or related field with three (5) years of experience in incident detection and response, malware analysis, or cyber forensics.
Of the seven (7) years of professional experience requirements above, Tier 3 Analyst candidates shall have at least one (1) of the following specialized experience for their position:
• Digital Media Forensics Analyst: Candidates shall have a minimum of five (5) years of professional experience performing digital media forensic analysis, static malware code disassembly/analysis, and/or runtime malware code analysis.
• Incident Response Analyst: Candidates shall have a minimum of five (5) years of professional experience responding to information system security incidents. Ability to use the DHS furnished toolset to identify and determine root causes of incidents and provide any required documentation and possible evidence to security investigators.
Minimum of current Secret with ability to obtain TS/SCI Clearance. In addition to specific security clearance requirements all Department of Homeland Security SOC employees are required to obtain an Entry on Duty (EOD) clearance to support this program.
Must have at least one of the following certifications:
SANS GIAC: GCIH, GCFA, GREM, GPEN, GWAPT, GCFE, GXPN, GMON,
ISC2: CCFP, CCSP
EC Council: CHFI, LPT, ECSA
Offensive Security: OSCP, OSCE, OSWP and OSEE
Defense Cyber Investigative Training Academy: FTK WFE-FTK, CIRC, WFE-E-CI, FIW
- Experience in supporting malware analysis and forensics in cyber operations, and/or federal law enforcement.
- Understand and utilize Threat Intel Frameworks (e.g. Cyber Kill Chain, MITRE ATT&CK, Diamond Model)
- Network tool (e.g. network tap, IDS sensors, etc.) configuration for on-site assessment
- Hands-on experience with Encase, FTK, FireEye HX, volatility, Security Onion, Suricata, Gigamon, VMWare ESXi, Splunk
- Signature (e.g. Snort, Yara, Suricata) development/tuning
- Expert knowledge in host-based analysis/forensics
- Proficient in performing timeline analysis and extracting artifacts from digital media
- Experienced reverse engineering and analyzing malware and developing a malware analysis report
- Ability to perform in-depth network forensics
- Develop and implement hunt methodologies for fly away assessments and for the SOC
- Proficient in one more of the following computer languages Python, Bash, Visual Basic or Powershell in order to support cyber threat detection or reporting
- Extensive knowledge about network ports and protocols (e.g. TCP/UDP, HTTP, ICMP, DNS, SMTP, etc.)
- Experienced with network topologies and network security devices (e.g. Firewall, IDS/IPS, Proxy, DNS, WAF, etc.).
Proficient working in a Windows and Linux operating system
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Cyber Operations
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.