Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient. Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Come join our rapidly growing team and enjoy these benefits:
- Accrue 3 weeks of PTO during your first year
- Get ten paid holidays a year
- Access to benefits on day one including medical and dental insurance, and 401K
- The potential to work from home during COVID-19
- Ongoing training to support your success
- Employee discounts
- Company HSA contribution
- Excellent 401K
The Leidos Surface Transportation Solutions Portfolio is seeking an experienced Applied Statistician to support empirical studies of Human Factors issues in the safety and operation of the U.S. transportation system as part of the Human Factors Support Services program in McLean, VA.
The Applied Statistician will work closely with a team of research scientists, transportation engineers, and support staff to conduct leading edge research in highway safety, and in the areas of safety and operations. The Applied Statistician will primarily be responsible for processing, analyzing, and reporting on data to support transportation safety research. The position involves reducing and analyzing data from various sources including vehicle dynamics data from driving simulators and instrumented research vehicles, physiological data recordings, and qualitative and quantitative data from questionnaires. The Applied Statistician will provide insight and guidance to team members on research design and the statistical requirements of research studies, and assist research scientists with writing and reviewing technical reports and publications. The position also would support other contracts with the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) and State Departments of Transportation (DOTs) throughout the Surface Transportation Solutions Portfolio.
The Applied Statistician is expected to work on a full time basis within the Washington, DC metro area by October 2020. The position is located at the Federal Highway Administration Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, Virginia; however, in response to the current COVID-19 pandemic, work can temporarily be performed remotely through telecommuting arrangements. Facilities such as a field research sign testing lab, Connected Intersection Testbed, Virtual Reality laboratory, and static- and motion-base driving simulators at the Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center are used to support research on a variety of topics including: transportation systems management and operations; automated driving systems; cooperative driving automation; intersection design; roadway design; signing; pedestrian and bicyclist safety; visibility; traffic control devices; weather; and work zones.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited University or College in Statistics or related scientific/technical field
- 4+ years of demonstrated experience in advanced statistical modeling and data analysis, and working with large datasets with various organizational structures
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance
- Expertise using SAS, SPSS, R, or similar statistical computing tools to perform advanced statistical analyses
- Expertise developing intuitive visualizations to communicate statistical outcomes to audiences with diverse backgrounds
- Experience managing, processing, and integrating multiple large datasets of varied type to address research questions
- Demonstrated experience designing experiments and procedures for collecting various types of data, preferably behavioral research data.
- Ability to apply advanced statistical models, such as logistic regression, multivariate regression, generalized estimating equations, and generalized linear models to different types of data as appropriate
- Experience with survey design
- Master’s degree
- Experience modeling and analyzing data from human factors/behavioral research is preferred but not required.
- Skilled at data management and creating database query scripts
- Skilled in developing interactive data visualizations and dashboards
- Demonstrated experience in preparing research reports and summaries of research activities
- Demonstrated experience in engaging a variety of industry, government, research, consulting, and other professionals to achieve a common goal
- Effective writer and engaging presenter who excels at making highly complex and technical information accessible to diverse audiences
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 33,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $10.19 billion for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2018. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.