Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals. Driven by our talented workforce, the Federal Energy, Environment and Commerce Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Environmental Science
- Nuclear Security
- Engineering Services
Leidos is looking for a highly qualified subject matter expert to support our National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Defense Programs customer to complete the B61-12 Life Extension Program (LEP). The Support Engineer will coordinate with NNSA Federal engineers and other technical staff to support continuous production efforts of Physics Laboratory designed components for the B61-12 Program.
This is a full-time contractor-support position ultimately located on-site at the NNSA offices in Albuquerque, NM but teleworking until regular on-site access is allowed.
- Knowledge of the NNSA Nuclear Weapons programs and activities; missions, policies, and objectives; management principles and processes; and the analytical and evaluative methods and techniques for assessing program development or execution and improving organizational effectiveness and efficiency with emphasis on 6.X process and Defense Programs Business Process System.
- Contributing to and/or leading assessments of current and needed capability and capacity of the NNSA weapons production complex for the B61-12 Program and recommend necessary facility and resource planning based on this information.
- Proactively identify potential issues impacting production/delivery schedules and reporting those to the B61-12 Federal Lead Engineer;
- Coordinate with NNSA federal and contractor programmatic and technical staff, and Management and Operating (M&O) contractor personnel.
- Assist in providing a comprehensive, coordinated approach to successfully managing and executing the B61-12 LEP production activities
- Participate in weekly management reviews of production activities, including providing insight to federal and M&O working level teams and decision makers.
- Apply broad and diversified knowledge of respective nuclear weapons systems, monitoring and tracking of the production of discrete and complex assembled component systems including quality control and certification, relevant Phase 6.X activities and deliverables, and program management disciplines.
- Identify, track, mitigate, and resolve technical risks and issues related to product and/or production metrics and schedules
- Participate in Product Realization Team (PRT) meetings.
- Attend and participate in major NNSA program and site review meetings and within guidance provided by the Lead Engineer and/or Federal Program Manager.
- Support special topic engagements as assigned.
- Review and summarize production reports for B61-12 management;
- Develop and maintain progress tracking tools;
- Apply common problem-solving techniques to technical challenges;
- Analyze information and review system requirements for workflow, organization, and corrective measures.
- Apply process improvement practices for monitoring the production life cycle.
- Exercise judgment and plan and accomplish goals based upon program planning and mission performance.
- Work independently and creatively under general supervision.
The work performed in this position is extensive in scope and requires an experienced individual with demonstrated program/project management experience, appropriate technical expertise, the ability to self-direct, to work in a highly dynamic environment, and interface with broad range of federal and military senior staff and leadership.
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science, however, a degree in Business, Program/Project Management, or closely related field with relevant experience will be considered.
- Active DOD TS or DOE Q clearance.
- As a mid-career position, 10-15 years of relevant experience in a production environment desired.
- Previous experience in DOE Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) production activities desired. However, relevant experience with DOD weapon systems production will be strongly considered. Direct production experience could be as little as 7 years if this is the candidate’s current responsibilities.
- Manufacturing and production floor experience in NNSA, DOD, government or corporate environments required.
- NNSA/DOD Interagency experience.
- Managing interdisciplinary teams.
- Knowledge of program and project management/scheduling tools and techniques.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated experience in writing and editing briefings for senior and executive managers.
- Some travel is required; currently anticipated to be in the range of 10-15%/year.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Supply Chain
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.