The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Chief Scientist to support biomedical research at the Naval Medical Research Unit, San Antonio (NAMRU-SA) in San Antonio, TX. NAMRU-SA conducts gap driven combat casualty care, craniofacial, and directed energy research to improve survival, operational readiness, and safety of Department of Defense personnel engaged in routine and expeditionary operations.
The ideal candidate shall:
Provide management, technical leadership and organization of the activities and personnel associated with Navy medical research and development activities Provide program level leadership experience directing complex science and analytic projects Communicate effectively complex technical findings to non-technical audiences in both written and verbal formats Identify, recommend, and implement continuous improvement approaches within teams, processes, or technology Communicate direction, approaches, and results to teams, leadership, and customers Collaborate with government research and development organizations including, but not limited to DOD, DARPA, DTRA, ONR, NRL, AFRL, ARO, NASA, and/or the Intelligence community, on projects and programs on related scientific communities of interest
- Work is to be primarily performed on a government installation. The normal work week is Monday through Friday 0800 to 1630. Due to the nature of this support, work outside of normal business hours may be required for the above tasks, on an as-needed basis, and at the discretion of Leidos and the Government.
- Some offsite travel (~10%) may be required for customer visits, presentations, etc.
- PhD in scientific or related field.
- 15+ years of research experience demonstrating increasing responsibilities and the ability to maintain relationships with a variety of diverse key stakeholders within and outside of the US Government and/or academia.
- Must have strong visioning and scientific leadership skills and experience
- Must have 10+ years of experience in executing complex and significant research opportunities and transactions within time, quality and budget.
- Ability to manage third party partnerships and relationships including customers, project managers, and support teams in collaborative and inclusive manner.
- Requires strong writing skills, reporting skills, research leadership and management, scheduling, leadership of research team, time management, and presentation skills
- Highly effective communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate with the public and handle sensitive information discreetly.
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret (TS) SCI clearance
- Member of Professional Scientific Society(s)