The National Solutions Group at Leidos has an opening for a Senior Network Engineer to provide Tier 3 support to the Network Operations Center (NOC). This position supports an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), customer networks, Intranet, Internet and other data communications systems or a segment of a network system. The Senior Network Operations Engineer monitors networks to ensure availability to all system users and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability. In this position you will maintain network hardware and software, proactively identify risks in the network and develop a plan to mitigate them as well as provide support of numerous business requirements into telecommunications (e.g., LAN, MAN, WAN, Voice and Video).
Primary Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide Tier 3 support to the Network Operations Center (NOC)
- Supports an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), customer networks, Intranet and Internet and other data communications systems or a segment of a network system
- Monitor network to ensure network availability to all system users and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability
- Maintain network hardware and software
- Proactively identify risks in the network and develop a plan to mitigate them
- Leads Supports numerous business requirements for telecommunications (e.g., LAN, MAN, WAN, Voice and Video)
Required Skills, Experience, and Education: Candidate must have 16 years of experience that can be a combination of work history and education. This equates to a Doctorate and 8 years of experience OR Masters and 10 years, Bachelors and 12 years, Associates and 14 years or HS and 16 years. Must be compliant with DoD 8570 IAT Level 3.
- May supervise other network support and client server specialists and plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures
- Participate in evaluation of new network technologies and makes recommendations to network architecture team regarding the integration of these technologies into the existing network. Ensures that plans for hardware and communications are adequate. Develops and implements methodologies for analysis, testing, and support of LAN and WAN networks
- Diagnose hardware and software problems, and replace defective components
- Support operations and maintain activities and administer networks including hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations
- Monitor the performance of systems and networks
- Support routine network startup and shutdown procedures and maintain control records
- Configure, and test hardware, networking software and operating system software
- Prepare technical proposals for presentation to the engineering review boards for adding new technologies to the network
- Perform a full range of upgrades in accordance with existing network architecture
- Review user requests for upgrades or additions to the network to assess impact on network performance and provide advice and guidance on the most practical technical approach to meeting user requirements
- Perform long term O&M activities to include tier 3 troubleshooting and problem resolution
- Apply software, hardware, and standards information technology skills in the analysis, specification, development, integration, and acquisition of open systems for Information Management (IM) applications
- Ensure these systems and applications are compliant with standards for open systems architectures, reference models, and profiles of standards - such as the IEEE Open Systems Environment (OSE) reference model - as they apply to the implementation and specification of IM solutions on the application platform, across the application program interface (API), and the external environment/software application
- Evaluate and recommend COTS applications and methodologies that can be acquired to provide interoperable, portable, and scalable information technology solutions
Security Clearance Requirement
- Must have an active TS/SCI with a polygraph in order to be considered for this position.
- Advanced networking qualifications including MPLS, BGP, OSPF, LAMBDA. LAN/MAN/WAN/Optical specialization
- Utilization of common ticket systems (Remedy, ServiceNow) and common network management tools (HPOV, HPNA, Solarwinds, MNS, Netcool, etc)
- Must have hands on troubleshooting and fault isolation of IT business systems
- Must have a strong understanding of the OSI model and configuration of routing protocols such as EIGRP, OSPF, MPLS, BGP, LDP
- Candidate must have a total of 12 years of applicable experience. The experience can be a combination of degree and work history. This can be a High School degree and 12 years of work history OR an Associate’s and 10 years, a Bachelors’ and 8 years, a Masters and 6 years
- Preferred network certifications Cisco CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, Juniper JNCIA, JNCIS, or JNCIE, ITIL Foundations, and/or CISSP
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Network Administration and Ops
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.