Leidos is seeking an experienced Lead Engineer to provide technical leadership for our UAS projects in Huntsville, AL. The Lead Engineer is responsible for all technical performance and will serve as the Leidos single point-of-contact with the program office for technical matters and issues. He/she will provide the planning, direction, coordination, and control necessary to accomplish all work requirements and task orders and manage and oversee all technical activities performed by contractor personnel, including subcontractors, to satisfy the contract requirements. The Lead Engineer will be the technical lead for all programs within the UAS domain and will help develop strong customer relationships enabling the business to grow. The Lead Engineer will also be responsible for leading a diverse team of engineers responsible for UAS software/hardware solutions for both the RQ-7Bv2 and the Unmanned Aircraft System Ground Control Station Version 4 (UASGCSv4) efforts and is expected to have a strong technical and project engineering background.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Accountable and responsible for performance of the engineering team, including technical, quality, schedule and cost aspects of the portfolio
- Ensures resource demands are communicated to the various disciplines to ensure that projects are staffed to meet Customer commitments
- Ensure and engage in the development of personnel, including mentoring and demonstrating by example
- Full engineering life-cycle including, technology development, engineering development, new product introduction, transition to production, sustainment engineering, obsolescence, and field support are activities that the Program Lead Engineer engages in, leads or has oversight of
- Ensures program scope is understood, and identifies overall budgetary needs for successful project execution
- Drives execution and performance measurement of the Integrated Product Development (IPD) process to ensure all requirements and objectives are met on schedule and within the authorized budget
- Develops overall program milestones and master schedules for engineering activities
- Develops a schedule for program technical reviews, and ensures design reviews are executed to standard, including review and approval of deviations and task tailoring
Review and approval of formal program technical communications and documentation with customer
- Supports the respective business unit’s Program Management Office (PMO) change management process with impact assessments, trade studies, and assertions
- Ensures the development and management of technical risks and develops and executes mitigation plans
- Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering or Computer Science plus 12 years of applicable experience or a Masters’ Degree with 10 years of applicable experience
- Minimum of 12 years engineering experience, including prior experience as Lead Engineer, IPT Lead or Program Manager, Lead Systems Engineer, or Design Engineer / IVT Engineer
- Candidate must have an active Secret security clearance with the ability to obtain a Top Secret security clearance
- Experience with UAS related software standards (such as STANAG-4586 or Cursor-On-Target)
- Ability to identify engineering resources needed in the establishment of a new business
- Product Line in addition to comfort with working in an unstructured environment
- Experience with front-end-of-the-business roadmap development, customer requests for information and proposal development, customer engagement, and capture technical leadership
- Large-scale software development and integration experience
- Experience with legacy systems re-engineering or "refactoring."
- Experience with US Army Aviation programs and customer engagement
- Active DoD TS clearance
Willing to relocate to Huntsville, Alabama
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.