Leidos has a career opportunity for a Media Relations Manager located in Reston, Virginia. The successful candidate will report to the Director, Strategic Communications & Media Relations and will assist the communications team in leveraging relationships with the media to develop communications strategies, articles, interviews and other external-facing assets.
- Develop and execute media engagement strategies tied to business objectives
- Maintain relationships with key members of the media
- Act as one of the company’s on-the-record spokespersons
- Execute strategic communications campaigns on behalf of the company
- Develop messaging and talking points on key topics
- Draft, edit, and send out press releases, media advisories and other publications
- Present innovative and proven ways to generate positive media coverage
- Monitors local/national news coverage and develop metrics for tracking
- Facilitate outreach campaigns, press events and other activities
- Provide timely and accurate responses to media requests
- Identify and develop opportunities to integrate effective strategies as part of the broader communications operation (i.e. marketing, internal communications, digital…etc.)
- Develop and maintain relationships with Leidos subject matter experts
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Communications, English or Political Science) and 8+ years work experience tied to communications and media relations.
- 3+ years experience as an on-the-record spokesperson for either a company, organization or government official.
- Work experience must include examples of successfully pitching Print/TV/Radio outlets and securing interviews.
- Demonstrated expertise in advising senior leaders.
- Proficiency in AP-Style grammar.
- Demonstrated success utilizing digital and social media platforms for media relations.
- Solid relationships with industry/national reporters and producers.
- Excellent presentation, public speaking and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to respond quickly and accurately to requests
- Demonstrated expertise in the planning and execution of proactive communication campaigns for large, complex organizations or government/political officeholders that engage a broad spectrum of stakeholders.
- Knowledge of federal contracting and government affairs.
- Experience working on Capitol Hill (House of Representatives, Senate or committees) or within a government agency as press secretary/deputy press secretary or equivalent.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Public Media Relations
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.