Leidos has an immediate opening for a part-time NATO Special Operations Comprehensive Defense (Total Defense) Subject Matter Expert (SME) and instructor. The successful candidate will work closely with the NATO Special Operations Headquarters as well as other team members to analyze, develop, and implement solutions for courses and exercises related to NATO SOF and Comprehensive Defense. The successful candidate will be expected to analyze the needs of NATO’s special operations community and then develop and present high-quality solutions for intermediate- and senior-level personnel. The selected candidate will lead highly interactive training and education seminars, courses, support mobile training, provide exercise support, develop doctrine, and other capability development requirements. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to perform research to support curriculum development and build targeted lessons, practical exercises, and discussions for allied and partner nation students who are not native-English speakers. Members of the team are expected to support NATO exercises and readiness events in order to incorporate lessons identified into curriculum updates. This is a position on a unique, diverse, international, and distributed team that offers challenging work requiring someone who is technologically-savvy and able to work effectively alone or collaborate effectively with the team. Relocation is not required, position is for telework with international travel (75%/25%). The candidate must demonstrate they are diligent ‘self-starters’ who can excel in a diverse working environment with little supervision or guidance in order to meet special operations support requirements and deadlines.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on Comprehensive Defense and resistance concepts spanning both government sectors and civil society
- Develop and deliver (instruct) training and educational curriculum based on adult learning and English as a Second Language (ESL) standards, principles, and procedures
- Serve as a primary facilitator and/or mentor to students during courses, NATO and national-level exercises, evaluations, or readiness event.
- Prepare lesson plans, teaching plans, lectures, presentations, briefings, and lead discussions for a vast target audience at various levels and in multiple environments (e.g. classroom, syndicate, laboratory, exercises, evaluations, events, etc.)
- Develop and maintain web-based course manuals, exercise/training support packages, software tools, handouts, study aids, and assessments as required
- Collaborate virtually and in person with team members to analyze and design resident curriculum to meet NATO Special Operations School standards
- Ensure course materials are maintained, updated, and improved to remain current and relevant and participate in educational quality improvement activities
- Coordinate and collaborate with members of the NATO Special Operations Headquarters on training, education, doctrine, exercises and evaluations
- Participate in exercises, evaluations or other events as required and incorporate observations and lessons identified into curriculum, doctrine, or training as required
- Conduct research, collaborate, and update SOF doctrine, publications, and manuals related to operational support to special operations and associated techniques
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE
- Citizen of a NATO member nation possessing at least 8-10 years of experience in special operations with a Comprehensive / Total Defense focus. Comprehensive defense is a cooperation-based preparedness and resilience model incorporating all aspects of society (host nation government authorities, the private sector, non-profit organizations, and private citizens) to collaboratively secure vital functions of society.
- Service in a special operations organization with significant direct experience providing special operations Military Assistance (NATO model) or Foreign Internal Defense (FID)
- Interagency / whole of government experience
- Active Secret clearance
- Bachelor’s degree
- NATO/NATO SOF experience (or experience with multi-national special operations)
- International and/or NATO special operations training and education experience
- Able to write, speak, and teach in English for an ESL audience, and demonstrate outstanding speaking, writing, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience in e-Education curriculum development to meet distance learning requirements, digital knowledge bases, and digital tools to aid product delivery, training support, collaboration, and communications
- Strong interpersonal skills, experience working as a senior member of a team
- Highly capable of operating independently and effectively in a distributed workforce
- Fully competent with Microsoft Office® suite of automation tools including: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, OneNote, Outlook and SharePoint
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- Top Secret clearance / eligibility
- Master’s degree
- Experienced special operations officer who has worked at the national / strategic level (MoD/MoI/Defence Force HQ/Home Guard)
- If not U.S. Army Special Forces, then special operations from a nation with advanced resistance concepts and programs
- Training and experience with Personnel Recovery (PR)
- Experience as a successful instructor/educator as well as developing training solutions, scenarios, or simulations to aid training, education, or mission preparation
- Formal education or experience with adult education, education technology instructional system design, and/or e-Education
- Experience at the NATO joint force command, joint task force, joint special operations task force, and/or special operations component command
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 100%
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Consult Emp
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.