Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient. Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Come join our rapidly growing team and enjoy these benefits:
- Accrue 3 weeks of PTO during your first year
- Get ten paid holidays a year
- Access to benefits on day one including medical and dental insurance
- The potential to work partially from home during COVID-19
- Employee discounts
- Company HSA contribution
- Excellent 401K
Leidos is looking for a mid-level Software Engineer to build and maintain open source Java/J2EE systems for data collection, storage and distribution as part of the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) research on cooperative automation. Leidos operates the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. We do cutting-edge research at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). This position involves development and maintenance of various enterprise systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, and data analysis. The successful candidate will play a significant role in implementing, adopting and evaluating technologies developed both in-house and by others.
The software engineer will be part of a larger research team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that pushes the boundaries of connected and autonomous vehicle technology for the FHWA for purposes of demonstrating capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication that will support the larger Intelligent Transportation System initiatives.
The successful candidate will design, develop and test software, primarily using Java/J2EE in both Windows and Linux environments, having primary responsibility for maintenance, enhancement and operation of the USDOT’s open source connected vehicle tools, such as Operational Data Environment (ODE) and V2X Hub. These systems collect, format, store and disseminate data relating to the operation of various roadways, such as measurements of traffic volume, density and speed at key locations. They may also involve vehicle-specific data from connected automated vehicles. Software designs are documented with UML. Automated unit tests are routinely developed and maintained as the software evolves. Where necessary, user documentation is generated or updated to reflect changes in the software functionality. Documentation, code and unit tests are routinely subjected to peer review. Occasional interaction with on-site customer representatives will be part of the job.
Location: McLean, VA
As part of the STOL team, the engineer will need to:
- Be a good team player and be able to give and take critical feedback on work products
- Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
- Be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand
- Be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement
- Be quality-conscious and carry a sense of pride in their work
- Work hard for the team’s success
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or other science discipline
- 3+ years full-time professional experience in Java/J2EE software development
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance
- Experience developing and consuming SOAP and REST web services using specifications such as OpenAPI.
- Understand and leverage common Java/J2EE architectural styles and patterns (SOA, Microservices etc.)
- Understand and apply quality techniques and practices (automated unit testing, Test Driven Design/Development, continuous integration)
- Familiarity with communication protocols, such as TCP, UDP, SNMP
Additional Desired Experience:
- Experience with message queues/message brokers/data streaming such as Apache Kafka.
- Experience with Git, Maven, Gradle, Docker (including Docker-compose) and continuous integration/continuous deployment
- Experience developing user interfaces and web pages
- Experience with Spring framework
- Experience working on Agile projects and working with Agile toolsets, such as JIRA and Confluence
- Hands-on experience developing code with Unity/HTC Vive
- Experience developing in C++
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.