The Homeland Security Solutions Operation within Leidos is looking for a Database Architect to provide leadership on a mission-critical program supporting Enterprise Architecture division within Passenger Systems Program Directorate (PSPD) in Customs and Border Protection (CBP). PSPD supports the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and CBP critical missions, specifically screening and processing travelers at the ports of entry (POEs) into the United States.
The Database Architect plays a key role in the Enterprise Architecture team. The Database Architect will provide the solution strategy, application design and development, cloud migration and assist in execution of systems and infrastructure information technology (IT).
The Database Architect will demonstrate his/her extensive knowledge in best practices, entity relationship design, security, and performance. The Database Architect will coordinate with leads in the Enterprise Architecture team with container orchestration, cloud solutions and services in a hybrid cloud environment. The Database Architect will use his/her self-motivation to show initiative to identify, research, design, develop, and promote solutions that enhance the modern development environment
- The Database Architect is responsible for the architectural design and development of various portfolio databases for multiple applications.
- Defines system solutions based on user/client needs, cost, and required integration with existing applications, systems, or platforms.
- Works with Enterprise Architecture team and assists in development of policies for standardizing systems, development tools and security practices.
- Coordinates with application architects to move entire (full stack) applications into the cloud.
- Design, model, document, and guide the logical and conceptual relationship of data and database changes for complex applications.
- Identifies requirements, researches options, designs and implements solutions at a leadership level for the application included in the portfolio
- Performs technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk assessments.
- Must be a self-starter, strong leader, and have the ability to work independently with little supervision.
- 8+ Years of experience in database design and development.
- 5 - 7 years experience with configuring and managing Oracle database.
- Expert level knowledge of all aspects of SQL.
- Experience in migration from on-prem data center to public cloud (AWS, Azure).
- Experience in decomposition of Oracle PL/SQL stored procedures and triggers to migrate to Postgress or MySQL
- Designs and implements the data extraction, data load, and database synchronization routines and functions. ETL.
- Analyzes and makes recommendations for improvements to existing software regarding database performance, stability, usability and scalability.
- Defines and implements database security, audit, and resource allocation policies and procedures.
- Designs and implements viable database backup, recovery, and high availability strategies and mechanisms.
- Monitors and optimizes database instance using database administration tools, SQL scripts, and database utilities
- Provides guidance and support for data encryption at rest and in transit
- Excellent communication and written skills
- US Citizen
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance
- BS degree and 12 – 15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 – 13 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- Demonstrated experience in network and cyber security design, engineering and operations with emphasis on DHS capabilities
- Demonstrated experience developing models using Sparx Enterprise Architect
- Splunk dashboard configuration
- MarkLogic NoSQL
- AWS RDS Oracle
- AWS RDS Postgress
- AWS RDS MySQL
- AWS DynamoDB
- Knowledge of WebLogic
- Demonstrated experience with operating systems such as RedHat Linux
- Demonstrated experience in ITIL, ISO20000 / ISO27001 implementations
- At least one nationally recognized database vendor certification
- Active CBP BI
- CBP experience
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 50%
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Database Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.