The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Research Associate to support the Viral and Rickettsial Diseases Department, Infectious Diseases Directorate, Naval Medical Research Center, Silver Spring, MD. The position will perform virological, immunological, molecular biological as well as animal study procedures to support development of vaccines and diagnostics for militarily relevant viral diseases.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Plan, conduct, and complete investigations under the supervision of the head of the laboratory. Assignments require the independent performance of complex laboratory tests, determinations, and analyses involving multiple procedures and a variety of technical approaches.
- Perform literature searches and maintain organized laboratory records and notebooks as required.
- Assist with the writing and editing of experimental results for publication in technical and peer-reviewed journals.
- Ensure data integrity and perform data analysis and interpretation.
- Provide guidance to lower level laboratory staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work is to be performed on a government installation. The normal work week is Monday - Friday 0800 to 1630.
- Master of Science in a related discipline, or Bachelor of Science with extensive experience. Minimum Experience required: 4+ years directly related research experience
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- Must have good communication and analytical skills and the ability to meet project deadlines.
- Willing and able to endure long periods of standing and sitting as well as working in a laboratory environment up to Biosafety Level 3 (Biological Select Agents and Toxins)
- Capable of using N95 respirator or PAPR
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Experience in BSL-3 environments is desirable.
- Knowledge of and experience in cell culture, animal handling, PCR, serological assays including antibody and ELISPOT assays, other molecular and immunological assays. NextGen sequencing experience is a plus.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Laboratory Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.