Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos is seeking an Electrochemical Research Scientist that will provide support to the Carbon Utilization team. For this position, the candidate will perform electrochemical evaluation of catalysts in an electrolyzer-style reactor.
The candidate will conduct; analytical, experimental, investigative and other fact-finding work using standard scientific approaches and techniques to support principal scientific researchers, observes, calculates, records and interprets the results of tests and analyses, and designs, constructs, modifies, calibrates, operates and maintains equipment used for these purposes or devised as a result of the work.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Perform electrochemical evaluation of catalysts in an electrolyzer-style reactor. Specific tasks include preparation of catalyst-containing gas diffusion electrodes, assembly, operation, and troubleshooting membrane-based electrolyzer devices, and quantifying gaseous and liquid products using various chromatographic techniques.
- Prepare technical reports on project scope, milestones and conference/workshop presentations to disseminate research findings, activities, operations, and future initiatives to industry, academic and government stakeholders.
- Periodically report status (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) to update project managers and customers.
- Participate in group meetings which are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow researchers.
This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The complexity of information to be managed will require excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Master’s degree in a science or science-related field (e.g., biology, chemistry, economics, geology, mathematics, physics) and 0-1 years of job-related experience.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness and interest to collaborate in an interdisciplinary team environment to drive towards overall project and team objectives is also required.
- Familiarity with working in a Research & Development setting.
- Demonstrated expertise in preparation of gas diffusion electrodes.
- Demonstrated expertise in assembly and operation of membrane-based electrolyzer devices.
- Demonstrated expertise quantifying reaction products via XRD, SEM, XPS and other methods
A Master’s Degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, or a related field with specialized expertise in:
- Preparation of gas diffusion electrodes,
- Assembly and operation of membrane-based electrolyzer devices, and
- Quantifying reaction products via XRD, SEM, XPS and other methods.
TERM OF COMMITMENT: This research position is intended to be a term position, with varying levels of commitment that are not expected to last longer than 2 years. You will be informed prior to applying what length of commitment is anticipated. Also, those who successfully fill a term position, may be invited to apply for an additional term. Nothing in this paragraph is intended to create an employment contract. Employment will remain at will.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
- Antarctic Support Contract (ASC)
- Large Infrastructure
- Mission Support
- Digital Modernization
- Command & Control
- Mission Applications
- Energy and Environment
- Engineering Services
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 100%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.