Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & non-technical training opportunities
- Leadership Opportunities
- Mentorship & Training Opportunities
- Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
In this role, you can also expect to gain
- NESC expertise
- Interface with local clients
- Electrical Power Calculations
- Interactions with other disciplines(Substation, Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
Leidos Engineering is seeking a Substation Lead Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team, working in a fast-paced environment, and solving challenging substation engineering problems. In the project engineering role the qualified individual will require a combination of strong engineering and communication skills that will facilitate teaching less experienced engineers. The position will include reporting to project managers, mentoring and directing design engineers and CADD/designer staff while also performing design quality reviews. Additionally, the candidate may be responsible for interfacing directly with clients and other staff in remote office locations. Assignments cover the full range of project planning through design and construction support. Design work may range from Substation physical layouts to Protection and Control schemes at 12.5kV through 500kV to Smart Grid and substation communications projects.
The successful candidate will apply a diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices as applied to substation engineering, design, and operation in the electric utility industry.
Job functions include but are not limited to the following:
• Prepare equipment specifications, analyzes bids, and makes recommendations for purchase
• Apply standards including the NESC, IEEE, IEC, and is familiar with design guides such as the RUS Bulletin 1742E-200
• Familiar with state and federal safety, regulatory compliance requirements, and construction codes
• Prepare project analysis, budgets, schedules, and plans
• Prepares construction and procurement documents
• Supports construction and substation and equipment commissioning
• Typically requires Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering from an accredited four-year institution with 4-8 years of experience related to the engineering and design of utility transmission and distributions substations to 500 kV; a MS Electrical Engineering degree with 2-6 years of prior relevant experience, will also be considered
• Electrical and civil engineering principles and practices as applied in the electric utility environment and the ability to analyze,
• Experience in the following areas:
• Substation site selection and permitting
• Arrangement and layout
• Equipment selection and specification
• Component and material assemblies
• One and three-line diagrams
• Knowledge of contemporary protection microprocessor based equipment and integration of same into operating schemes functioning with distributed intelligence
• Control and protection schemes including the preparation of schematics and wiring diagrams
• Application and interconnection of SCADA systems
• Substation grounding analysis and design
• Cabling and wiring and associated conduit systems
• Proficient in the use of computer software used for the planning, analysis, and design of electric utility projects;
• Proficient in the use of typical office computer software such as Word, Excel, Project, Acrobat Adobe
• Demonstrated ability to communicate, collaborate and interact with clients and other project team members
• Demonstrated technical writing skills
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 100%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 39,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.