The Airborne Solutions Operation (ASO) within the Defense Group of Leidos is hiring an Aviation System Safety Engineering Manager. ASO leverages decades of operational and technical integration expertise to rapidly and successfully design, integrate, deploy, and sustain specialized, cutting-edge Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) sensor packages in any region of interest worldwide. ASO works directly with Government program managers to optimize platform selection and system design based on project requirements; partnerships with research labs, sensor manufacturers, and industry leaders ensure ASO’s ISR solutions balance the level of performance and technical maturity with fiscal realities. The Aviation System Safety Engineering Manager will be a member of the team providing Aviation Safety oversight on the portfolio of programs across the Operations, which includes oversight of programs through regular reviews and deep dives, regular involvement leadership in technical readiness reviews (TRRs), execution planning reviews (XPRs), bid risk reviews (BRRs) and Safety Review Boards (SRB). This position has the option to be located out of our Manassas VA office, Huntsville AL office or telecommuting.
The Aviation System Safety Engineering Manager will be responsible for the implementation of the Aviation Safety Program across ASO. Responsibilities will include:
- Be familiar with the relevant system safety standards
- Act as the interface among various program functions with regards to system safety
- Integrate and coordinate / control the system safety program
- Monitor the system safety program
- Develop the Classification of Hazardous Events
- Develop the Preliminary Hazard List
- Establish and manage a Hazard Tracking System
- Develop and maintain the Hazard Log
- Advise on the procedures and methods for performing the system and sub-system hazard analyses
- Participate in design reviews for the purpose of reporting the status of the system safety program
- Liaise with the test and evaluation organizations in order to ensure that safety features are sufficiently tested and that any incidents arising from the safety test program is assessed
- Operate a Failure Reporting and Corrective Action System (FRACAS), inclusive of an event log, where all incidents and / or observations that could adversely affect flight safety would be registered
- Develop and update the Safety Case for each ASO aircraft program
- Coordinate the System safety Working Group / Safety Review Board
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering, aviation sciences, or system safety engineering and minimum of twelve (12) years of relevant experience.
- Experience in the Aviation industry specifically with DOD Airborne ISR specific programs
- Direct experience in dealing with DCMA 8210 program requirements
- Direct experience working with service level Airworthiness requirements
- Ability to travel when required
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Top Secret SCI clearance
- Experience with military and civil aviation engineering efforts
- Operations, training, and standardization experience in both civilian and military environments
- US military master aviator and FAA certified commercial pilot with rotary and fixed wing qualifications
- Military experimental test pilot school graduate
- Experience with and understanding of AS9100/AS9110 certifications
- Active DoD Secret clearance.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 100%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.