The Leidos Intelligence Group currently has an opening for a Microsoft SQL Database Engineer to work in our Alexandria, Virginia office. This is an exciting opportunity to use your management skills helping the Information Technology Enterprise Managed Services (ITEMS) User Facing Services (UFS) mission at the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA). In this mission, we provide NGA with a bridge to the future, strengthening critical ISP services to mission users, harnessing the capacity of current and emerging Intelligence Community Information Technology Enterprise (IC ITE) services, and delivering the Power of GEOINT into the hands of users supporting critical time-sensitive missions. Our team operates and sustains UFS for NGA, provide continuous improvement in the effectiveness and efficiency of UFS, implement special orders to rapidly support mission needs without disrupting daily operations and posture NGA to transition to future IC DTE service offerings.
The UFS Microsoft SQL Database Engineer is responsible for installing and configuring SQL, leveraging monitoring utilities to maximize availability while minimizing false alarms and deploying database change scripts provided by developers and third-party vendors in the areas of VDI, Infrastructure and SharePoint services. This position will review options and determine effective ways to increase performance, including making hardware or VM recommendations, server configuration changes, index, SQL query and/or database structure changes. This position will also provide support for scheduled maintenance, upgrades, outages and unexpected interruptions of service.
- Install and configure new Microsoft SQL Server instances, including AlwaysOn availability groups and failover clustering.
- Install SQL Server service packs and updates.
- Configure and manage SQL Security settings and apply STIG settings.
- Make system design recommendations according to Microsoft SQL Server best practices.
- Manage database backup & recovery & DR planning.
- Create, modify, and optimize SQL Server Agent jobs and maintenance plans.
- Proactively monitor SQL Server maintenance tasks, troubleshoot failed jobs and resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Utilize SQL Server Policy Based Management to validate configurations across the enterprise.
- Troubleshoot application slowness and performance issues.
- Responsible for T-SQL index & query tuning, and optimizing queries/indexes for very large databases, 30+ million record tables, multi-terabyte databases.
- Responsible for database migrations and server upgrades.
- Create and edit technical documentation as requested according to ATR standards.
- Develop documentation and training of routine database administration tasks and train server operations staff on these tasks.
- Responsible for ETL of large text files (1 TB +) into SQL Server
- Author and modify SQL Server Reporting Services reports.
- Responsible for SQL Server Capacity planning
- Perform SQL Server integration with enterprise applications.
- Must currently possess a TS/SCI with ability to obtain Poly
- Requires Bachelors Degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- 6+ years w/ Development and integration of SQL database services in an enterprise environment.
- 3+ years working w/ large databases (1 TB+)
- 3+ years working in a clustered Windows environment.
- 2+ years working w/ AlwaysOn Availability Groups.
- 3+ years w/ SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- 3+ years w/ SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS
- Experience with installing and configuring Microsoft SQL instances for one or more of the following areas:
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Support Services
- Infrastructure Services
- SharePoint Services
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Database Management
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.