Leidos Maritime System Solutions (MSS) is seeking to hire an Electrical/Software Engineer in support of AUV Operations to support our Silvertip customer located at NIWC Systems Center, San Diego, CA. The EE/SW will be part of the unmanned underwater vehicle development team.in AUV Launch and Recovery operations.
This position will require the candidate to obtain and hold a Secret Clearance. This position is for an entry-level engineer to join a growing, fast-paced research, development, testing and evaluation team at Naval Information Warfare Center Pacific located in San Diego, California.
- Design methods and approaches for integrating cutting-edge sensor technologies into Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUVs).
- Develop software and hardware code to modify and enhance UUV behaviors and controls, including execution of sensor specific commands and tasking.
- Work with a multi-disciplinary engineering team to deliver game-changing technologies under a rapid research and development timeline.
- Conduct multi-faceted testing (integration, regression, unit-level, etc.) to ensure UUV reliability and performance, and proper operation of new sensor technologies and capabilities.
- Troubleshoot complex UUV software and hardware issues, determining the best approach for addressing the issue(s) while considering the impact of that change(s) on other system components and sub-systems.
- Participate in at-sea test events to collect and analysis real-world engineering data in support of improvements and engineering design changes to the vehicle and/or associated sensors.
- Proficiency in Python, Java and Unix/Linx bash scripting is preferred
- Strong hardware and software troubleshooting skills
- Experience working with electronics test equipment (spectrum analyzers, multimeter, oscilloscopes, etc.)
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret hardware and software documents
- Experience testing hardware and software in various testing environments (integration, regression, unit-level, etc.)
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related field
- BS degree or equivalent experience and less than 2 years prior relevant experience.
- M.S. or higher degree is a plusStrong C/C++ programming skills
- Background and understanding of electronic systems
- Experience with Unmanned Systems or Robotics (underwater vehicles is preferred)
- Experience with Windows and Unix Operating Systems
- Experience in Oceanographic Instruments
- Ability to work in small groups and independently
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced work environment
- Skilled in communicating technical information both verbally and written
- Self-started that is able to solve technical and process related problems
- Strong hardware troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work on a small boat (i.e. not susceptible to motion sickness)
- Willing to travel for short periods of time to support project requirements
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.