The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Research Associate III to support biomedical research at the Naval Medical Research Unit, San Antonio (NAMRU-SA) in San Antonio, TX. NAMRU-SA conducts gap driven combat casualty care, craniofacial, and directed energy research to improve survival, operational readiness, and safety of Department of Defense personnel engaged in routine and expeditionary operations.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Develop and conduct protocol-driven scientific research addressing various aspects of military medicine, including, but not limited to: hemorrhage and resuscitation, immunomodulation, biomedical systems, bioassay development, craniofacial, infectious diseases and directed energy bio effects.
- Provide support in writing protocol-driven research proposals, animal use protocols, human use protocols, technical reports, final reports, and peer-reviewed manuscripts.
- Manage, maintain and troubleshoot laser, optics and directed energy systems.
- Evaluate data sets.
- Develop various presentation materials, and present findings at technical and professional meetings.
- Prepare experimental subjects, set up experimental equipment, and aid in training and development of experimental subjects for experimental procedures in accordance with approved animal or human use protocols.
- Candidates must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited US university, or international university of equivalent standard, in biology, physics, molecular biology or a related field.
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge and a minimum of 5 years experience conducting animal research projects involving lasers and/or directed energy is required.
- Experienced and capable of aseptic technique as it applies to tissue collection and preparation for pathological or histological analysis.
- Ability to make and record detailed observations and troubleshoot technical procedures
- Experience in using MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel spreadsheets, and graphing software such as GraphPad Prism or SigmaPlot for data analysis, processing and basic statistics
- Flexibility to work as a team member or independently as needed
- Must be able to work a flexible work schedule, may include occasional evening or weekend shifts
- Laser System Safety Officer (LSSO) certification or equivalent is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of animal anatomy and physiology (mice, rats, pigs)
- Comfortable working with and handling animals
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Laboratory Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.