Leidos Engineering is seeking a Lead Microgrid Planning and Analysis Engineer to join our distribution planning team with our Power Delivery Services division.
• Execution of studies in Microgrid planning and design to include both economic and technical evaluations.
• Evaluation of distributed energy resource (DER) interconnections and protection coordination studies.
• Conduct various studies for investor owned utilities, municipal utilities, electric system cooperatives, and independent Microgrid developers.
• Work closely with clients as both the technical leader in the Microgrid domain as well as conduct all business development activities. This role has significant growth potential.
• Requires Bachelors in Electrical or Electronics Engineering and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience, or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience.
• Must have experience in performing economic feasibility and cost-benefit analysis of Microgrid projects by creating technical and economic models of Microgrid and distributed energy systems that optimize for various objectives.
• Must have experience functioning in a technical lead role in the evaluation of a Microgrid (load flows, protection coordination, grounding, stability, and electromagnetic transient studies) and reviewing client deliverables.
• Experience with Microgrid design is required (specifying medium and high voltage electrical systems and equipment, Microgrid controllers, generation and battery system controllers, and switchgear).
• Experience with Microgrid-related applications such as: droop, Blackstart, islanding and synchronization of DER.
• Experience with Microgrid analysis and design tools such as DER-CAM, HOMER, DIG-SILENT, MATLAB/Simulink, PSCAD, EMTP-RV.
• Experience with a distribution system load flow software package (DNV GL’s Synergi, Milsoft’s WindMil, or Cyme’s Cymdist).
• Must have client management experience.
• Contribute to technical writing of project proposals and responses to industry RFIs and RFPs
• Work closely with business development manager(s) on the assessment of new opportunities and contribute to the business development.
• Must possess strong written, interpersonal and presentation communication skills.
• Must be a team player.
• Experience with the planning and design of electric vehicle charging infrastructure
• Experience with ETAP, EasyPower, Siemens PTI’s PSS/E, GE Concordia’s PSLF, ASPEN OneLiner, and Electrocon’s CAPE, is a plus.
• Experience with advanced distribution planning including Electric Vehicles and non-wires alternatives.
• Demonstrated understanding of current engineering principles associated with analysis of power systems, electrical interconnection, solar, wind, battery energy storage systems, Microgrid controls, and data monitoring/reporting systems, and ability to evaluate electrical drawings and specifications.
• Familiarity with standards such as (IEEE 1547, IEEE P2030.7 and P2030.8, CA Rule 21, HI Rule 14, and communication (SunSpec, DNP3, 2030.5))
• Able to work collaboratively with many different people with diverse backgrounds and geographic locations.
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:Yes, 100%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.