Would you like to work where you can make a difference helping improve the transportation industry while expanding your Communications experience?
Come join our rapidly growing team and enjoy these benefits:
- Accrue 3 weeks of PTO during your first year
- Get ten paid holidays a year
- Access to benefits on day one including medical and dental insurance, and 401K
- The potential to work from home during COVID-19
- Employee discounts
- Company HSA contribution
- Excellent 401K
Leidos is hiring a Junior Communications Specialist in McLean, Virginia, to support a team of researchers in communicating the latest in automated vehicle technology. The Junior Communications Specialist will be a key part of the Leidos team supporting the communications and outreach needs associated with the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) cutting-edge research at the Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center (TFHRC). The role will be part of a larger research team that develops new connected and automated vehicle (CAV) technologies for FHWA.
This role will be focused on event management and planning, including the development of visually compelling virtual event content and public relations (PR) materials for the Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a state-of-the-art facility for conducting CAV research. The laboratory enables FHWA to validate and refine new transportation services and technologies. The position will assist in the execution of the overall communications strategy and implementation plan to inform, educate, engage, and develop stakeholders in the transportation industry. This includes efficiently creating and measuring the effectiveness of a variety of communications, to include: fact sheets, social media, PowerPoint presentations, videos, infographics, and topical articles.
- Manage outreach and provide support for public relations and stakeholder engagement activities, including technical working groups and focus groups.
- Manage the planning, development, and execution of events (virtual events primarily during COVID-19).
- Facilitate and moderate meetings and workshops in a variety of formats including in-person and web-based.
- Track, monitor, measure, and analyze the effectiveness of stakeholder engagement activities and communications content.
- Produce, design, and edit public content for presentations, social media, announcements, fact sheets, videos, eLearning courses, and other associated media and materials.
- Create and revise content for articles in technical and general media publications, digital newsletters, and technology transfer platforms.
- Develop visually compelling summaries and briefings of technical and/or research reports for technical and lay audiences.
- Work with FHWA editors and FHWA Public Affairs as needed to facilitate the logistics and publication of various communications materials.
- Build and maintain trust with key FHWA stakeholders to facilitate communication on R&D priorities.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, communications, public relations, or a related discipline with 1+ years of experience in marketing and communications (school projects and internships may be considered in place of full-time professional experience).
- Previous experience with Adobe Creative Cloud Software.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a public trust security clearance.
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check
- Excellent verbal, written, and public speaking communication skills in English, as this position will be responsible for managing and moderating virtual events.
- Fluent with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Capable of transforming complicated subject matter and diverse source material into coherent, engaging, and accurate content for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work independently and with small teams.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to thrive in highly flexible, rapidly changing, ambiguous work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, and tact.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines across multiple communications and outreach projects simultaneously, prioritizing demands on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Demonstrated experience with writing and content development for a variety of communications media, platforms, and publications.
- Proven knowledge of visual creation for an assortment of digital and print collateral.
- Practical experience with the planning for and execution of conferences and events.
- Strong understanding of branding and integrated marketing best practices to implement a cohesive vision across STOL projects.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience with web conferencing tools and platforms, preferably Adobe Connect, WebEx, and Microsoft Teams.
- Strong project management skills.
- Familiar with following different communication style guides.
- Ability to learn substance of research quickly.
- Intellectual curiosity and dedication to master vast and complex subjects.
- Skilled at cultivating and managing relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and resourcefulness.
- Knowledge of the USDOT, transportation industry, CAV, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), and emerging technologies.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Public Media Relations
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.