Leidos is seeking an experienced engineer with a background in firmware development to join a team that’s executing multiple contracts and research activities to develop and field maritime sensors, payloads, and supporting infrastructure.
- Developing battery powered devices that operate for years and testing to confirm device clock mode and sleep mode operation to verify calculated battery life.
- Working with the hardware design team to select and understand critical design components and creating prototype sensor concepts for evaluation.
- Develop project test plans and test procedures, provide test planning support, and assist in the execution of both laboratory developmental, acceptance, and at-sea testing.
- Conduct electronic testing on hardware for digital and analog circuitry in systems requiring custom signal processing, amplification, power management and conversion.
- Conduct experimental tests on equipment, evaluate results, and develop specifications for deliverable systems.
- Investigate and determine root cause of product issues during testing and determine appropriate resolution.
- Generate and maintain engineering drawings in support of manufacturing, review and create engineering change orders (ECOs), as required per ISO9001:2008 policies.
- Develop and execute test software and scripts on Linux/Windows environments.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work without close supervision.
- Some travel and work at remote sites for limited time periods may be required.
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering or similar field and 2 – 4 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance.
- 3+ years of demonstrated coding and debugging with C/C++ using a structured development approach with coding standards and design reviews
- Developing new and updating existing embedded firmware using C on 8-bit and 32-bit microcontrollers with minimal operating system implementations or bare metal
- Using common tools such as debuggers, emulators, logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, and volt meters to test hardware and confirm that firmware is operating correctly.
- Experienced in the operation of electronic test equipment including oscilloscopes, multi-meters, power supplies, function generators, insulation resistance testers, etc.
- Experienced with programming languages for scripting such as C#, Java, and Python.
- Competent in use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Microsoft Project
- Active Secret Clearance or higher.
- Familiarity with agency testing standards including Military Standards (MIL-STDs), Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL), and IEEE standards.
- Previous experience with firmware development in the maritime environment including Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUVs) and associated electronics/hardware.
- Familiarity with Altium Designer or similar electrical PCB design tools.
- Experience with RTL (VHDL/Verilog) firmware development.
- Experience in Circuit Card Assembly (CCA) validation testing including: analog, digital, mixed signal, or Radio Frequency (RF) designs.
- Working knowledge of MATLAB, VISIO, and LTSpice software packages.
- Experience with optics, optical telemetry and electro-optic components.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.