Leidos are a growing company delivering innovative technology and solutions focused on safeguarding critical capabilities and transformation in frontline services, our work in the United Kingdom includes addressing some of the most complex problems in defence, healthcare, government, safety and security, and transportation.
A Senior Principal or a Principal Engineer who is an Individual contributor who leads and/or manages works of other technical staff that has significant impact on the division’s results/outputs predominately fills this role.
With a focus on delivery and operation, the Chief Engineer contributes to the development of solutions that influence strategic project/program goals and business results. They have thorough understanding of advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts; they recommend and collaborate in the development of new technical solutions and/or standards in support of strategy and operations.
We expect a great deal from our Division Chief Engineers (DCE) with no day being the same; the DCE acts as the technical delivery focal point for the capture and/or programme, working alongside the ‘Solutions Lead’ who forms the design authority focal point. A DCE will be a natural self-starter and team motivator who will guide the technical team to deliver upon Leidos commitments.
You will be a leader and champion in technical delivery with the experience to back up their decisions and actions, preferably hands on at a high level. You will work with field leading subject matter experts who will provide detailed designs and with supporting functions within the division such as programme managements, business, financial and senior leadership.
Core skills and behaviours:
- Drives the team towards delivery by shaping and encouraging the team to achieve outcomes
- Significant experience in delivery of complex and parallel technical deliverables for large government organisations or private corporations using a diverse engineering and technology team
- Significant experience in breaking down technical deliveries into manageable and trackable parts.
- Strong and practical knowledge of cross functional business skills, including but not limited to; project management, cost management, risk management, estimating using formal methods, supply chain, schedule management, forecasting, resource planning.
- Experience in lifecycle methodologies, technical governance and technical solutions relevant to the domains.
- Experience of technical business analysis or systems engineering, including requirements management.
- Experience of large-scale integrations, service orientated architecture and key technologies.
- Keen technical advocate and self-learner up to date with the latest technology and innovations; encourages and inspires those around them.
- Line management is not core to this role, however, you have the ability to grow and manage those on the path to Chief Engineer and technical leadership roles.
Responsibilities of the DCE are:
- Collaborates with the Division Chief Architect on all engineering effort for pre-sales/proposals.
- Provides the independent technical escalation path for technical delivery issues within the division
- Provides technical advice/input to the division that influences strategic business outputs, acting as technical eyes & ears for the division.
- Ensures that the Portfolio of programmes within the division are managed from a technically perspective in accordance with company standard processes. (WinPlan, EngineeringEdge).
- Facilitates technical collaboration between divisional businesses / portfolios, looking to improve efficiency & effectiveness in delivery
- Collaborates with peers to share best practice, looking to improve efficiency & effectiveness in delivery across Leidos UK.
- Monitor, assess and govern the engineering efforts within the division working closely with the programme chief engineers to ensure compliance.
- Tracks resource capabilities (including training) provided by the capability leads to ensure they keep up with evolving divisional needs;
- Develops and maintains the divisional technical capability roadmap, addressing key capability gaps with the capabilities leads
- Accountable to the UK Chief Engineer on all technical delivery across Portfolio programmes & projects within the division.
- Telework is required
- SC Clearance required for the role
This role is currently classed as UK Mobile, however, travel will be required at some point across the South of England and some possible time in the West.
What do we do for you?
At Leidos we are PASSIONATE about customer success, UNITED as a team and INSPIRED to make a difference. We offer meaningful and engaging careers, a collaborative culture, and support for your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work-life balance.
We provide an employment package that attracts, develops and retains only the best in talent. Our reward scheme includes:
• Contributory Pension Scheme
• Private Medical Insurance
• 33 days Annual Leave (including public and privilege holidays)
• Access to Flexible benefits (including life assurance, health schemes, childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme)
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 25%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.