Healthcare is one of the fastest growing sectors of the US economy, but the industry faces many challenges in delivering value to providers and payers and in improving patient care outcomes in a highly dynamic marketplace.
The Health Growth Solutions (HGS) at Leidos has immediate opening for Chief Software Engineer/Architect to help us shape, develop, and deliver new software solutions leveraging state-of-the art technologies to our government customers and launch new and innovative products into the commercial healthcare marketplace.
As the chief engineer of the HGS engineering team, you’ll direct the software architecture and design of multiple highly available and scalable systems used by customers worldwide. You’ll ensure that services and technologies planned in the Enterprise Services (ES) roadmap align to and support the organization’s product and application solutions priorities. You’ll coordinate and communicate with the Leidos Enterprise Application Foundry (LEAF) team to ensure platform and framework services enhancements needed by ES are planned into the LEAF roadmap. You’ll coordinate with the ES and product teams to ensure all LEAF-based solutions remain on a currently-supported LEAF baseline. You’ll engage with technology leaders from other Leidos Health Groups and external customers to ensure their technical requirements are understood and translated into the software design and specifications of the products and applications developed for them. You’ll direct research on and conduct spikes and prototypes of new technical solutions to reduce risk and evaluate capability. You’ll recommend solution strategies, technologies, and tools to address technical challenges in both the government and commercial spaces. You’ll direct major deliverables of projects through all aspects of the software development lifecycle including scope and work estimation, architecture and design, coding and unit testing. You’ll mentor other software engineers and share your knowledge with the team and the organization to make us all better at what we do. You’ll always respect the opinions of others, accept constructive criticism, share your views with a passion for improving the entire team’s performance, and collaborate openly and positively with your teammates.
- Participate in the full software development lifecycle, working within broadly defined parameters.
- Serve as the chief engineer overseeing software architecture and design for multiple medium to large, complex projects within HGS.
- Communicate and coordinate with the LEAF team to ensure enhancements and bug fixes needed by HGS are planned into the LEAF roadmap.
- Ensure the ES roadmap aligns to product priorities and maintains an upgrade schedule to keep all LEAF-based products on a currently-supported LEAF baseline.
- Work closely with the product teams to develop the best technical designs and approaches for new product development.
- Ensure team adheres to Agile processes and software engineering best practices.
- Build software solutions where the solution is not always well defined but always considers the customer first.
- Develop solutions to complex technical issues and problems that impact multiple area or disciplines.
- Communicate with internal team members across multiple areas and coordinate completion of key deliverables across teams.
- Liaise with external and internal customer stakeholders on technical design decisions and trade-offs and ensure software solution will meet required functional, performance, and SLA thresholds.
- Evaluate the selection and/or hiring of team members to ensure team has the right balance of skills and experience to implement the solution.
- Mentor other engineers in the art of building complex, web scale systems.
- Resolve roadblocks for the development team, working collaboratively with the Product Owner, technical leadership, and other engineers.
- Plan and estimate development tasks and work to improve performance metrics.
- BS degree and 12 – 15 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 – 13 years of prior relevant experience.
- Experience delivering entire projects or processes spanning multiple technical areas.
- Experience serving as a technical lead managing large projects or processes.
- Deep understanding of software design patterns.
- Working knowledge of Agile Development and continuous integration and continuous delivery methodologies and tools.
- Solid understanding of software development process fundamentals.
- Strong, self-motivated desire to learn new programming languages, tools, frameworks, and techniques.
- Ability to complete tasking independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively within a multi-disciplined engineering team.
- Experience working with basic web technologies (HTML, CSS, XML, REST, JSON)
- Experience working with Cloud Technologies (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience working with a version control system (e.g., Git).
- Experience working with CI/CD processes and tools (Jenkins)
- Experience working with Infrastructure as Code (Terraform, Helm)
- Experience working with Containerized applications and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Experience working with Enterprise Service Bus Technologies (Kafka)
- Experience working with Agile Development methodologies.
- Experience working with multiple operating systems (Mac OSX, Windows, LINUX, etc.).
- Experience working with at least one Relational Database Management System (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, etc.).
- Experience working with NoSql databases (MongoDB, etc.).
- Experience working with Leidos Enterprise Application Foundry (LEAF) a plus
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Development
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.