Software Engineer — Air Traffic
Leidos is seeking a Software Engineer who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the development of software that improves aircraft runway and terminal congestion. Nationwide congestion is increasing, and the need for efficient aircraft traffic planning is critical. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Terminal Flight Data Manager (TFDM) is the surface management solution that will provide NextGen Air Traffic Control capabilities to improve air traffic operations in the National Airspace System (NAS). The Terminal Flight Data Management (TFDM) program is a Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) NextGen program based on airport surface management provides that efficiencies for both the airport surface and terminal airspace by providing a new and comprehensive integrated surface traffic control and management system.
TFDM functions include:
• Surface Collaborative Decision making (SCDM), departure scheduler and other airport decision tools - Electronic Flight Data (EFD)
• Enhanced Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) Traffic Flow Management System (TFMS)
• Replacement or integration of multiple systems in the National Airspace System (NAS).
• TFDM will share data among: controllers, aircraft operators, and airports so they can better stage arrivals and departures and manage traffic flow within terminal airspace for greater efficiency.
• Stakeholders will have a shared awareness of flights on the ground and in the air, the ability to exchange data electronically, with the goal of a continuous real-time picture of traffic volume and airport resources, making flights more efficient from gate to gate.
- Working both as a member of a team and independently the successful candidate will be modernizing the air traffic control tower equipment by:
- Improving the exchange of electronic flight data and implementing electronic flight strips.
- Streamlining the schedule sequence of departures to improve efficiency on the surface.
- Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving the collaboration and decision-making capabilities between the gate and the tower.
- Developing and maintaining the FAA air traffic control display software within the object oriented environment (primarily C++/Java) on a UNIX/Linux platform.
- Performing software development as needed for the TFDM system
- Providing support needed for system engineering
- Articulating user needs and requirements from high level user stories
- Developing the design for the user interface framework including client and server side components; analyzing and designing databases within an application
- Working in an Agile Scrum environment
- Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Requires BS and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience.
- Experience in object oriented design and development with Java and C++ programming
- Experience developing software using Ansible
- Experience in following a documented Software Development Process
- Experience using version control tools such as Git, Subversion or CVS
- Experience in use of the UNIX and Linux operating systems
• Development experience in other computer languages (Python, Perl, etc.)
• Familiarization with the Atlassian Tool Suite and JIRA
FAA air traffic domain knowledge