The successful Data Center Infrastructure Management – Field Operations Technician shall support the documentation and monitoring of VA computer spaces in multiple phased, concurrent, and rolling projects directly supporting each active location.
This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience helping the IOSS mission. The mission of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Office of Information & Technology (OI&T), Information Technology (IT) Operations and Services (ITOPS), Infrastructure Operations (IO) is to support One VA world-class service to Veterans and their families by delivering results-oriented, secure, highly available, and cost-effective information technology services. IO support helps to provide critical services focusing on consistent availability of Veteran-facing applications and quick delivery of benefits for Veterans
The Contractor shall perform the following tasks, which may require the use of GFE (Government Furnished Equipment).
- Site Management
- Coordinate communications with onsite points of contact regarding all DCIM activities and conduct technical and non-technical project coordination meetings with stakeholders.
- Estimate level of effort for both DCIM personnel and support contractors to successfully complete datacenter survey.
- Travel to remote regional CONUS locations (up to 50%) to complete datacenter surveys
- Conduct and/or validate inventory documentation on all VA IT equipment hardware (servers, virtual hosts, storage devices, switches, firewalls, etc.) within datacenters using a combination of logical and physical tools and methods.
- Document the physical configuration of the data center and all equipment, hardware, furniture, and similar within the space.
- Coordinate activities of support contractors and ensure complete gathering of relevant onsite data is completed.
- Translate physical site documentation into logical drawings, spreadsheets, and other electronic formats for inclusion into DCIM product.
- Other duties as assigned.
Educational / Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Systems, Business or related scientific/technical discipline with 5 years’ experience. Eight (8) additional years of relevant experience may be substituted for degree. Data center experience (infrastructure, management, systems administration) is preferred.
- Interpersonal communication
- US Citizenship with ability to obtain Public Trust Clearance - Federal Government requirement.
- Technical communication
- Attention to detail
- Understanding of implied tasks and interdependencies
- Integration of complex data into consistent, organized data sets using standard office software (Microsoft Office)
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Outlook
- Additional standard office software proficiency
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Teams
- Trimble SketchUp
- Datacenter management and/or operations experience
- Network management and/or hardware experience
- Server management and/or hardware experience
- Datacenter electrical and/or cooling experience
- Experience with data center infrastructure management software
- Commscope iTRACS
- Travel will be required, up to 50%
- During normal non-travel work hours, work is mostly performed in an office location and this position is mostly sedentary, requiring the ability to perform work seated at a desk during the daily tour of duty.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer
- Frequently communicates with their peers and customers within and outside of the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. Must be able exchange accurate information in these situations.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50%
- While in office location and while conducting onsite surveys during travel, gathering data of onsite data centers will be necessary
- Constantly positions self to obtain information from IT equipment, including inside rack cabinets, under desks and in server closets which may include the requirement to access constricted spaces.
- Occasionally ascends/descends a ladder to evaluate IT equipment/infrastructure in raised spaces.
- Ability to traverse raised tiles floors which are occasionally unsteady.
- Occasionally moves equipment up to 50 lbs to facilitate access to blocked areas in data center.
- Ability to remain in a standing position for as many as eight (8) hours a day.
- ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) v3
- Industry server, OS, network, data center, or infrastructure certifications.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and
responsibilities to this job at any time.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 25%
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 50% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Field Operations
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.