Job Description: Software Engineering intern
Leidos is seeking a talented Software Engineer Intern, located in Baltimore, MD. Leidos Team currently provides design, programming, and implementation expertise for the SSA’s natural language processing and machine learning application in the Agency Cloud Infrastructure. The intern will perform a combination of research, structured evaluations of algorithms and/or scientific approaches, software design and development using Python and/or Java, .NET. The candidate will be collocated with the SSA government employees and subcontractors at a government facility in Baltimore, Maryland. The candidate must be able to pass a Federal Suitability Check for a position of public trust.
Education and Experience:
-Must currently be pursuing a degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, or System Engineering.
-The candidate must have at least two-years of academic or professional software development experience in a modern software development language (such as Java, .NET, Python, etc....)
-Working knowledge in Java .NET, Python or other modern programing languages
- Strive and excel in tackling unknown problems and creating innovative solutions.
- Results oriented and excited about creating and leveraging machine learning applications and cloud infrastructures
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Competence in critical thinking, listening, and asking questions.
- Understanding of programming concepts (e.g., class, method, hash, array, lists, struct, event handler, regression test, asynchronous requests, software development lifecycle, user stories, acceptance testing, application logging, etc.)
- Conceptual knowledge with designing and programming user interfaces
- Capability to read and write HTML, XML, delimited text, and JSON files
- Some understanding of cloud-native APIs, frameworks and architectures.
- Familiarity with NLP and ML concepts.
- Familiarity with Regex.
- Familiarity with relational database systems such as PostgreSQL
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Intern Technical
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.