No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse IT and engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & non-technical training opportunities
- Mentorship Program
In this role, you can also expect to gain
- NESC expertise
- Electrical Power Calculations
- Time management and organizational skills
We are seeking a Substation Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team within our Commercial Energy Services Operation organization; specifically our Power Delivery division: an established group of electric utility engineering consultants that solve challenging substation engineering problems for our utility clients Nation-wide. The Substation Engineer will work under the direct supervision of an experienced licensed professional engineer and is expected to work independently on his/her assignments. Responsibilities: In this role the qualified individual will be expected to: • Perform Physical Electrical, Protection and Control, SCADA Systems, Station Communications and Station Automation design on medium to large scale utility substation engineering projects with higher complexity.• Perform advanced engineering studies and calculations.• Perform low complexity engineering studies or assist senior engineer with advanced engineering studies.• Prepare project deliverables including but not limited to engineered drawings, technical reports, correspondence and miscellaneous project documentation. • Collaborate with other engineering disciplines as required. Should be able to assess the impacts of design changes on other disciplines to pick the best solution. Foster constructive communication between disciplines.• Assume the role of technical lead on smaller projects with limited guidance or on medium sized projects with guidance.• Perform Quality Control reviews on smaller projects independently or on medium sized projects with limited guidance or on portions of larger projects with guidance.• Prepare proposals for smaller projects under the direction of project engineers. Provide drawing counts and man-hour estimates for small to medium sized projects. Develop scopes of work for small to medium sized projects.• Be involved in limited client interaction with a senior, project or lead project engineer.• Develop leadership skills in preparation for future roles on the team.• Develop and provide advanced technical presentations to the team to assist with staff technical development. Support the training and mentorship of junior and less experienced staff.• Assist the team with the development of processes and procedures to improve project execution efficiency.• Maintain accurate records and files and a high level of organization. • Support Leidos’ goals and represent the company positively and professionally.
• Typically requires a Bachelor’s of Science in Electrical Engineering. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
• 2-4 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a B.S. degree
• 2 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a M.S. degree
• Comprehensive understanding of the utility grid (power generation, transmission and distribution) system
• Comprehensive understanding of the function and application of major substation electrical and control house equipment
• Strong competence in applying basic theories and principles’ involved in substation engineering
• Expertise in researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
• Keen focus on quality and an appreciation for high quality deliverables. Understanding of the importance of quality and quality control in our industry.
• Strong attention to details
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines under high pressure situations
• Team player who can work effectively in team environment with an ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
• Self-starter who can work unsupervised
• Ability to multitask on assignments while maintaining schedule
• Proactive communication with strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• High level of computer competency
• Strong proficiency with using Windows-based software programs
• Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
• Active membership in national engineering societies (IEEE, PES, etc.)
• Proficiency with Bentley ProjectWise data management system.
Frequent travel to and from job sites may be required on a project-by-project basis.
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 50%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.