The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) has an opening for a Hypersonics Project Manager. The candidate will provide hypersonics and counter-hypersonics Project Management within Leidos and Department of Defense customer community to capture and execute research and development programs. In this primarily technical position, the candidate will be expected to also apply deep domain knowledge toward business development, marketing, and proposal activities in order to help grow Leidos program portfolio. The growth will be accomplished by expanding our current modeling and simulation business into concept development, providing prototype sub-systems and systems for our nation’s defense.
Build a business pipeline of opportunities by creating new innovative technical concepts to capture and execute programs for the design and analysis of high speed weapon systems. Lead technical execution for those efforts.
The successful candidate will drive technical innovation in two or more of the following business areas:
- Hypersonics and Counter-Hypersonics with a particular focus on airbreathing systems
- Lead the capture of various airbreathing high speed weapons programs
- Grow a high speed weapons business. This will involve developing work that moves progressively up the TRL chain from concept/systems analysis to prototype development across all phases of capture to execution.
- Develop the existing workforce and attract new talent. Grow skills and develop a career path for existing personnel. Recruit new talent to support new and existing work.
- Assist in other hypersonic and R&D pursuits across the Leidos Corporation to include technology roadmaps, capture, and technology transition.
- Impact & Complexity: Impacts functional strategy by developing new solutions, processes, standards or operational plans that position Leidos competitively in the marketplace. Leads the development of highly innovative products/solutions, achieved through collaboration and dialogue with other experts in the field.
- Communication: Must communicate with Leidos personnel, and interact daily with customer program leadership and team members and end users. Must develop a clear understanding of customer goals and objectives and shape work to achieve those goals. Typically negotiates and compromises to convince internal and external parties to accept concepts, practices and approaches of the area.
- Knowledge: Requires highest knowledge and mastery of highly advanced technologies, scientific principles, theories and concepts. Viewed as a subject matter expert in the field by peers within and outside the organization. Domain specific knowledge in the areas of Hypersonics, High Speed Aerodynamics, GNC, Modeling and Simulation, and Weapons Systems Engineering is desired.
- Education: Requires a Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Aerospace, Mechanical or similar discipline and more than 15 years’ experience.
- Independence: Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to operate independently with limited supervision and feedback.
- Travel: Ability to travel on an as needed basis
- Clearance: Must be a U.S. Citizen with active Secret clearance. Preferred active TS clearance. Must be SCI eligible
- Prior experience in managing large DOD research efforts is a plus. Preference given to candidates with experience in managing research efforts funded by AFRL, DARPA, ONR, and similar.
- Prior experience as a Government Program Manager is also a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple simultaneous efforts while keeping efforts on schedule and on budget.
- Past experience in leading a diverse team with successful outcomes.
- Strong candidates will have prior experience in leading successful business development campaigns.
- Skills desired include the ability to effectively communicate with customers, understand their needs, and develop white papers and proposals.
- The ability to also develop and communicate a strategy for new business with management is also desired.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 100%
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.