The Defense Health Operation of Leidos is currently looking for a Research Scientist I to support biomedical research at the Naval Medical Research Unit, San Antonio (NAMRU-SA) in San Antonio, TX. NAMRU-SA conducts gap driven combat casualty care, craniofacial, and directed energy research to improve survival, operational readiness, and safety of Department of Defense personnel engaged in routine and expeditionary operations.
The ideal candidate shall:
- Develop, lead, and conduct protocol-driven scientific research addressing various aspects of military medicine, including, but not limited to: Prevention Strategies for Dental Caries Using Phage Therapy and Novel Diagnosis and Treatment of Envenomation by Venomous Marine Animals for Marine Expeditionary Forces.
- Identify and design consensus/unique amino acid sequences of venom proteins
- Screen a phage display library against snake venom peptides
- Conduct phage panning, ELISA, and venom activity assays
- Evaluate the various effects and efficacy of anti-venom on inhibiting cellular and systemic damage induced by snake venoms
- Collaborate with engineers, biologists, analytical chemists, toxicologists, and veterinary science staff
- Initiate new hypothesis-driven research and prepare technical reports, manuscripts, posters, abstracts, and proposals.
- Participate in key meetings with sponsors and other team members
- Develop various presentation materials and present findings at technical and professional meetings.
- Oversee junior personnel associated with research projects; manage research data.
- Candidates must have completed a PhD from an accredited US university, or international university of equivalent standard, in cell biology, molecular biology or microbiology.
- The candidate will be required to acquire, at a minimum, a SECRET classification access level. Preference will be given to a candidate who already has this clearance level.
- Due to Federal contract requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Candidates must possess at least 1 year of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- Knowledge of molecular biology, bacteriology, proteomics, and safety procedures
- Experience with genetic engineering, phage biology, bacterial growth, tissue staining, tissue culture, ELISA, RT-PCR, and immunofluorescent staining.
- Candidates must have experience developing and leading experimental research protocols as well as a strong record of scientific publications.
- Experience in using MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel spreadsheets, and graphing software such as GraphPad Prism or SigmaPlot for data analysis, processing and basic statistics
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.