Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient. Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection & Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers. Leidos’ SDA Operation, in conjunction with the TSA, also performs on-call, onsite installation servicing of X- Ray Detection Equipment using leading edge technology to ensure the safety of our clients, customer and passengers. The Security Detection and Automation Operation is comprised of four divisions to align with our customers’ missions and needs:
* Hold Baggage
* Ports & Borders
* General Automation
Leidos is seeking a Lead Algorithms Development Engineer in the St Petersburg, FL area to lead our Florida Security, Detection and Automation business.
The Lead Algorithm Development Engineer will lead all the development of prototype code and
Implementing image-processing/computer vision/Machine Learning techniques leading to regulator testing and certification. The candidate will be working on algorithms for 3-d volumetric x-ray detection of explosives (and other prohibited items) in passenger baggage at airports. And that we have thousands of scanners in daily operation around the world which their algorithms will be deployed on.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- This process includes design, development, implementation, testing, analysis, data organization and writing technical reports.
- Develop new algorithms as well as improvements applied to previously developed algorithms.
- Communicate with both external as well as internal customers including cross-group functional team members.
- Communicate with regulators as needed and assist them to deploy as well as support detection algorithms.
- Re-architecting, refactoring, and improving of software quality of existing code
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable C++ using good software engineering techniques.
- Decomposition of complex software development projects into manageable tasks and providing level of effort development estimates.
- Lead all data collection activities at regulators and internal sites.
- Interfacing with other software teams to understand, integrate, and deploy algorithm component with external software components.
- Implement other team member’s ideas as well as working independently.
- Work and communicate with Sr. management to execute company goals and objectives.
- Master of Science in Computer / Electrical Engineering or a similar subject and a minimum of 10 yrs+ of relevant experience. Doctorate degree is preferred.
- Extensive computing and strong image processing / computer vision / Machine Learning background.
- Strong knowledge of C / C++ programming languages, Matlab, and Linux / Unix operating systems and scripting.
- Strong math and analytical skills.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office tools (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint).
- Candidate should be flexible to adapt to the requirements of the algorithm development process.
- Candidate should be organized in storing, communicating technical results and reports in an easy and traceable way to retrieve data to its source.
- Candidate should be self-driven, identify problems, share, discuss possible solutions and focus on completing all necessary tasks.
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills at all levels.
- Will require occasional travel (approximately 10%), domestic and international
- Ability to obtain a US security clearance, for which only US Citizens are eligible
- Knowledge of Python or similar.
- Solid web-based programming skills and relational databases programming.
- Advanced degree in related subjects such as computer vision, image processing and :
- Strong understanding of statistical pattern recognition and classification.
- Basic knowledge of X-ray systems and technologies.
- Current secret clearance.
- Knowledge of Six sigma or other continuous improvement processes.
- Experience in GPU programming.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 10%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.