Leidos is searching for a Network Engineer to provide support to the Infrastructure Operations Services Support (IOSS) mission onsite at Veterans Affairs Central Office (VACO), 810 Vermont Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20420. May also require occasional onsite work at Capital Region Readiness Center, Martinsburg, WV and other locations in the District of Columbia commuting area.
The mission of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Office of Information & Technology (OI&T), Information Technology (IT) Operations and Services (ITOPS), Infrastructure Operations (IO) is to support One VA world-class service to Veterans and their families by delivering results-oriented, secure, highly available and cost-effective information technology services. IO support helps to provide critical services focusing on consistent availability of Veteran-facing applications and quick delivery of benefits for Veterans.
The Network Engineer plans, supports and evaluates complex existing network systems and make recommendations for resources required to maintain and/or expand service levels. This resource will provide highly skilled technical assistance in network planning, engineering and architecture. Also provides and develops technical standards and interface applications; identifies and evaluates new products; provide solutions for network problems. Interfaces with internal/external customers and vendors to determine system needs. Plans and incorporates how new network resources and applications will exist on the network. Provide monthly metrics for network availability and bandwidth usage as well as other metrics as requested.
Responsible for network capacity planning. Use network management tools to discover, map and maintain the network. Responsible for network equipment OS and version upgrades. Responsible for conducting research of new technologies and implementation strategies. Monitor and maintain network interfaces to insure its highest level of performance and makes modifications and enhancements as needed. Responsible for documenting procedures and keeping network diagrams and related material up to date. Handle escalated user problems, questions, and request on network issues. Work with other groups within IS to resolve network related issues as needed. Leads and directs work of other Network Engineers.
Infrastructure Operations Data Center Network Operations ITC organization administers a variety of complex Information Technology (IT) network devices, primarily in support of Exhibit 300 programs for VA, VACO, VHA, VBA and other VA programs offices and projects. Serve as a subject matter expert and network engineer analyst within the Data Center section of Infrastructure Operations. This position is responsible for a wide range of IT networking and telecommunications services that typically extend and apply to all Infrastructure Operations (IO) and/or the VA in general such as installs, test and maintains Network Device operating system and vendor supplied software or firmware for use throughout IO.
- Monitors network capacity and performance.
- Diagnoses and resolves network problems.
- Actively participates in the management and administration of the VA network activities.
- Provides network infrastructure and NETWORK support for enterprise data centers utilizing firewalls, load balancing, LAN and WAN, and WAN Optimization technologies.
- Configures and installs various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, WAN Optimization, and other network system peripherals)
- Performs network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hot fixes and security configurations
- Performs capacity planning/analysis in order to optimize system hardware and software performance.
- Monitors performance and ensures system availability and reliability
- Monitors system resource utilization, trending, and capacity planning
- Familiarity with Phyton scripting relating to Network automation
- Provides Level-2/3 support and troubleshooting to resolve issues
- Works within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure
- Selects and implements security tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with the company’s security team
- Works with customer and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Plans, coordinates, and manages interfaces to remote VA computer systems.
- Ensures that Information System (IS) security plans that safeguard systems within his/her authority exist and are implemented in accordance with NIST and OMB guidelines.
- Documents and performs network administration functions.
Possesses technical and functional expertise; no supervisory responsibility
This position requires technical knowledge, abilities, skills and experience and often exercises judgement in the performance of their duties.
The individual performs work consistent with directives, policies, standards and regulations.
- Bachelor’s from an accredited college in a Computer Science, Electronics Engineering or other engineering or technical discipline is required with 5 years of professional experience; or 8 years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for education.
- US Citizen or Green card holder only with the ability to obtain Public Trust Clearance
- Proven hands-on network engineering experience
- Deep understanding of network protocols
- Hands-on experience with monitoring, network diagnostic, and network analytics tools
- Strong independent critical thinking and problem-solving skills in a rapid changing environment.
- Highly motivated and adaptable
- Customer Service Oriented (Customers are VA Stake holders, Co-workers and other internal and external contacts)
- Differences of opinion are handled in a business-like fashion
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Network Administration and Ops
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.