Leidos' Security Detection & Automation Operations Engineering team needs YOU! We are aggressively seeking and interviewing qualified, motivated, experienced Principal Mechanical Engineers to fulfill an existing need at our Tewksbury, MA office to provide technical expertise in support of our security detection products . In this role, you will have a direct impact with the lives of travelers and our nation's safety.
Using bleeding edge technology, you’ll be developing truly novel solutions that make travel and trade safer, healthier, and more efficient on a global level. You will work in a fast-paced and diverse environment, enjoy flexible work arrangements, and will have a management team that encourages your career development and growth.
Your role as one of our Principal Mechanical Engineers, would design, develop and deploy our x-ray systems for airport application. In addition to applying your technical expertise, you will be in the position to serve as a leader, while sharing your knowledge and mentor assigned staff to develop and nurture a work environment that is conducive to teamwork and strong professional development.
Success would be reflected upon your demonstrated capability and execution with planning, conducting engineering research, and taking a project from concept through to completion, while taking into account budgeting and operational considerations.
In the Principal Mechanical Engineering role, you will be relied upon and expected to perform technical, lead, budget, and resource management duties:
- Technical SME: Apply your technical expertise with hands-on design and development of security systems components and assemblies from concept to field deployment.
- Design: Ensure all existing and new designs comply with internal and external customer requirements.
- Represent the mechanical engineering team in projects and cross-functional team communications at various levels of management.
- Leadership: Direct the management of a team of mechanical engineering and technician resources.
- Development: Develop and maintain mechanical design standards and practices.
- Leadership: Provide project leadership for mechanical related design works to include establishing schedules and resources and execute projects as planned.
- Manage and publish technical design specifications that includes breaking down customer, product lines, sales and key suppliers requirements into subsystem specifications.
- Define test strategy with traceability back to requirements to ensure compliance.
- Design: Hands-on design including concept generation, 3-D modeling, manufacturing drawings, Bills of materials and ECO submitting process. Lead the prototype assembling and testing activities.
- Process: Follow established development process and conduct required gate reviews for all mechanical engineering related designs.
- Analysis and Presentation: Provide high-level engineering analysis using state of the art FEA and other applicable tools. Review, publish, and present results to management.
- Interface with internal teams and provide support and resolutions to production and field issues.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 10-15 years of relevant, related experience working with large capital equipment. Master's Degree is preferred.
- You will have core experience in large machine structure and component designs, dynamic and static analyses, GD&T, heat transfer, and motion systems. Position requires working with subject matter experts to make design tradeoffs with respect to cost and performance.
- Proven experience with managing major suppliers and sub-contractors.
- Proven experience to estimate project budgets, schedules and resources for mechanical system and subsystems.
- Demonstrated past success as an individual contributor with current position in a senior role as lead principal or senior mechanical engineer.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills are required for effective interface with all internal and external contacts.
- Previous experience with the development of x-ray equipment for airport application preferred, but any related equipment experience will be strongly considered.
If you fit what we're seeking, please submit your interest today for immediate consideration.
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
To learn more about the greater Security Detection and Automation Operation team, which is comprised of four divisions to align with our customers’ missions and needs:
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 10%
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Mechanical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.