Leidos is seeking a Connected and Automated Vehicle R&D Software Engineer to join a highly successful team in researching and developing CAV and Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA) technologies to shape the future of transportation. The Saxton Transportation and Operations Laboratory (STOL) in McLean VA, is the USDOT’s premiere research and development laboratory for Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) technology. Our team of over 40 engineers and scientists advance CAV technology for the USDOT by developing, testing, and supporting the adoption of technologies associated with Vehicle-to-Vehicle and Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2X) communications as well as Cooperative Driving Automation (CDA). We’re researching how self-driving cars can work together with the infrastructure and other road-users to make transportation safer and better.
This is an opportunity for a leader who is motivated by variety, thrives in a challenging environment, seeks professional growth, and wants to be a key part of a team developing and extending technology that supports a variety of transportation research. The successful candidate will perform a variety of duties surrounding V2X technology as well as quickly adapt to research and development (R&D) needs. The role will be a leader in software development as part of a larger research team developing new connected and automated technologies for FHWA. This work involves development and maintenance of various back end systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, and data analysis, as well as work on vehicle on-board software for automation and connectivity. The successful candidate will mentor junior staff and manage small to large projects as the organization and contractual situation evolves.
***Location: Due to COVID-19, the team is working primarily from home, however this position is expected to go into the lab as needed. This position will need to be onsite in the lab in McLean, VA fulltime, post COVID-19.***
The Senior Software Engineer will have the skill sets to do full life cycle development on a complex system of systems, primarily using C++ on Linux. However, responsibilities will primarily involve:
- Defining system architecture and high-level designs
- Performing system level testing
- Helping to define the team’s strategic directions
- Managing staff assignments to ensure high quality work in support of that strategy
- Communicating with upper management and customer staff
- Supervising direct reports, which includes recruiting, coaching, managing their training, performance, rewards, discipline, career growth, etc.
Required Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering or a science discipline with 10+ years full-time professional experience on software development teams
• Proven experience leading a team of software engineers for at least 3 years
• Experience as a hands-on software developer so that you have a first-hand appreciation of the needs and thought patterns of the team
• Experience developing software in C++ and Linux environments.
• Experience with Git, Docker and continuous integration
• Ability to think and communicate abstractly
• Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
• Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance.
• Experience in government contracting environment, including proposal writing preferred
• Experience leading an agile development team preferred
• Experience developing software in Java, Python
• Knowledge of Robot Operating System (ROS)
• Experience developing real-time, embedded software
• Understanding of physics, especially dynamics and kinematics
Please see our other openings here: http://careers.leidos.com/stol
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.