Leidos is seeking an experienced Chief Engineer to provide technical leadership for our UAS projects in Huntsville, AL. The Chief Engineer is responsible for all technical performance and will serve as the Leidos single point-of-contact with the program office for technical matters and issues. He/she will provide the planning, direction, coordination, and control necessary to accomplish all work requirements and task orders. The effective Chief Engineer will manage and oversee all technical activities performed by contractor personnel, including subcontractors, to satisfy the contract requirements. The successful candidate will also be the technical lead for all programs within the UAS domain and will help develop strong customer relationships, enabling the business to grow and also be responsible for leading a diverse team of engineers responsible for UAS software/hardware solutions. The Chief Engineer is expected to have a strong technical and project engineering background.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Accountable and responsible for performance of the engineering team, including technical, quality, schedule and cost aspects of the portfolio
• Set performance standards and oversee technical requirements
• Ensures resource demands are communicated to the various disciplines to ensure that projects are staffed to meet Customer commitments
• Engage in the development of personnel, including coaching, mentoring, and leading by example
• Execute the full engineering life-cycle including technology development, engineering development, new product introduction, transition to production, sustainment engineering, obsolescence, and field support
• Establish collective technical understanding of program scope
• Identify and monitor technical budgetary needs for successful project execution
• Drives execution and performance measurement of the Integrated Product Development (IPD) process to ensure all requirements and objectives are met on schedule and within the authorized budget
• Develops overall program milestones and master schedules for engineering activities, including schedule for program technical and design reviews
• Responsible for the successful execution of technical and design reviews, including satisfaction of entry and exit criteria
• Review and approval of formal program technical communications and documentation with customer
• Supports the respective business unit’s Program Management Office (PMO) change management process with impact assessments, trade studies, and assertions
• Provides overall ownership of technical risks, including development and execution of mitigation plans
• Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering or Computer Science plus 12 years of applicable experience or a Masters’ Degree with 10 years of applicable experience
• Minimum of 12 years engineering experience, including prior experience as Lead Engineer, IPT Lead or Program Manager, Lead Systems Engineer, or Design Engineer / IVT Engineer
• Candidate must be a U.S. citizen and have an active Secret security clearance with the ability to obtain a Top Secret security clearance
• Ability to identify engineering resources needed in the establishment of a new business Product Line in addition to comfort with working in an unstructured environment
• Experience with front-end-of-the-business roadmap development, customer requests for information and proposal development, customer engagement, and capture technical leadership
• Large-scale software development and integration experience
• Experience with UAS related software standards (such as STANAG-4586 or Cursor-On-Target)
• Experience with US Army Aviation programs and customer engagement
• Experience with Digital Engineering techniques/processes
• Experience with legacy systems re-engineering or "refactoring"
• Experience with open systems architecture
• Experience with Program Executive Office Command Control Communications Tactical (PEO C3T), Project Manager Mission Command (PM MC), or PM Tactical Network (PM TN)
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.