No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
We are seeking an Substation Designer II who will work as a member of a dynamic team within our Commercial Energy Services Operation organization; specifically our Power Delivery division: an established group of electric utility engineering consultants that solve challenging substation engineering problems for our utility clients Nation-wide. The Substation Designer II will work under the direct supervision of an experienced engineer and/or designer and is expected to develop skills in the field of substation engineering and the ability to work with greater independence. This is a temporary to permanent position working approximately 30-40 hours per week.
In this role the qualified individual will be expected to:
· Perform routine aspects of engineering assignments requiring knowledge and application of basic engineering
· Efficiently execute project work and deliver high quality work products on schedule.
· Identify, prepare technical documentation, communicate, and resolve project issues with lead engineer/designer
and project manager.
· Collaborate with engineers/designers across disciplines and identify/resolve potential design issues to assure a
· Apply all relevant client, national, and state standards when applicable.
· Develop accurate drawing/hour estimates and project approach documents for small to medium size projects.
· Demonstrate and apply technical knowledge and experience to improve efficiency and quality of work product.
· Provide detailed technical write-ups on proposals for small to medium size projects under direction of lead
engineer/designer and project manager.
· Demonstrate improved skill set of technical knowledge and experience through efficiency and quality of work
· Provide guidance and mentorship to less experienced engineers/designers.
· Follow the established Quality Control Plan while completing assignments.
· Assist with the preparation of project deliverables including but not limited to engineered drawings, technical
reports, project-related correspondence and miscellaneous project documentation.
· Collaborate with other substation engineering disciplines as required.
· Assist the team with the development of processes and procedures to improve project execution efficiency.
· Maintain accurate records and files and a high level of organization.
· Take opportunities to improve technical knowledge and understanding of the work.
· Support Leidos’ goals and represent the company positively and professionally.
· B.S. degree or equivalent experience in Electrical Engineering Technology from an accredited university
· 3 – 6 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a B.S. degree
· Solid understanding of the utility grid (power generation, transmission and distribution) system
· Keen focus on
- Production of high Quality work
- Efficient execution of tasks
- Attention to details
· Knowledge and understanding of fundamental engineering theories and principles
· Ability to meet deadlines under high pressure situations
· Team player who can work effectively in team environment with an ability to deal with a variety of individuals
from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
· Ability to multitask on assignments while maintaining schedule
· Proactive communication with strong written and oral communication skills
· Strong organizational skills
· High level of computer and internet competency
· Proficiency with using Windows-based software programs
· Experience with 3-D modeling
· Experience with document control software such as ProjectWise
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 75%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Engineering Drafting
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.