The Algorithm Development Engineer will be involved in the development of computer vision, image processing, and machine learning algorithms for several of our real-time airport x‑ray baggage scanning products. The candidate will be working on algorithms for 2-d and 3-d volumetric x‑ray detection of explosives (and other prohibited items) in passenger baggage leading to official TSA and EU certification testing. We have thousands of scanners in daily operation around the world on which your algorithms will be deployed and in daily operation.
- Implement production quality real-time C++ software for sophisticated computer vision and machine learning algorithms; primarily for detecting threat objects in 3-d volumetric x-ray data.
- Design and implement new algorithms and improve existing algorithms in C++ algorithm framework class structure using good software engineering techniques with emphasis on reusability and efficiency
- Train machine learning classifiers with emphasis on classifier generalization. Machine learning involves training traditional machine learning classifiers on datasets composed of feature vectors for objects identified in x-ray scans.
- Assist with the development of new deep learning algorithms to improve the detection performance for challenging threats
- Analyze data, make recommendations, write technical reports
- Interface with other software teams to integrate algorithms with external software components.
- May require occasional travel (5%), domestic or international, to assist with data collections
- MS/PhD in computer science/engineering in a related subject such as computer vision, machine learning or AI
- 3 years image processing experience (filtering, segmentation, edge detection, object detection)
- 3 years machine learning classifier development experience
- 3 years C++ development in a scientific software development environment
- Strong math, analytical and communication skills.
- Experience with product quality software development including optimizing algorithm implementations to reduce run-time
- Experience with Windows and Linux development environments including writing scripts
- Experience with Microsoft Office tools
- Must have positive, team focused attitude and approach to work tasks. Must be a team player, but also needs to be able to carry out tasks independently.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a US secret security clearance - requires US Citizenship
- 2 years experience with deep learning tools and methods for computer vision
- Experience with Python, R and perl
- Strong understanding of statistical pattern recognition and classification.
- Basic knowledge of x-ray systems and technologies
- Real-time programming,
- Current US secret security clearance
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 25%
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Signal Processing Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.