The Principal, Mechanical/Ocean engineer is a recognized Subject Mater Expert (SME) and a creative experience based leader across multiple technical disciplines. The applicant should possess a broad knowledge of project management with strong prior experience in independently managing complex system specification, design, build projects and enterprise strategic initiatives. Exceptional communication skills will be essential for the applicant’s leadership of the assigned program both within the internal project team, divisional leadership and external customers. The applicant’s creativity and recognized SME stature will facilitate successful development of new systems, concepts, or technologies that directly impact the achievement of program functional results and enterprise goals. The applicants demonstrated past performance will include leadership of multiple collaborative development teams operating within an Integrated Product Team environment.
The Principal Mechanical/Ocean Engineer position offers the applicant the opportunity to:
- Initiate and lead design and process improvements to existing and new systems
- Coordinate and lead cost, schedule status and design solution presentations to program leadership and external customers
- Contribute to departmental goals, staffing decisions, operating plans
- Ability to plan and direct offshore operations including oceanographic payload installation and supporting equipment operation.
- Lead supporting efforts for the on-site installation, failure diagnoses, and troubleshooting, of complex shipboard oceanographic equipment and systems.
- Lead supporting efforts for the operational checkout and quality of system equipment.
- Provides system level input to operation and maintenance of the program equipment
- Oversees and coordinates the design, layout, testing and evaluation of mechanical and electro-mechanical devices or systems.
- Prepares recommendations for design solutions, presentations and status reports
- Oversees and directs feasibility studies, engineering specifications, structural/thermal analysis, component selection and system/subsystem evaluation.
- Directs system level requirement allocation to subsystem and design elements, develops verification methodology and design validation/verification plans.
- Oversees development of system functional layouts and formal documentation including interface and operational specifications through release and build.
- Supports development of new and updating of existing system design standards to meet specific current and future requirements.
- Up to 25% travel (Post-COVID Restrictions)
- Requires BS degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a DoD Secret security clearance.
- Requires expert level knowledge over a broad spectrum of ocean engineering technical areas typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- Viewed as an SME and consulting resource within the field by peers, program leadership and external customers.
- Good technical writing skills with strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
Potential for Telework:Yes, 10%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Mechanical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.